14 C
Byron Shire
September 26, 2022

Winter 2022 residential fires caused the highest death toll on NSW record

Latest News

West Byron flooding

All east coast communities are now daily regularly warned by the ABC radio/TV, by the Bureau of Meteorology, to...

Other News

Something about Ash and Sara

The Rock & Roll Coffee Company is proud to present the second showcase in their Something About Songwriters series featuring...

Putting your ‘Queen’ money where your mouth is

I've never felt much either way about the Queen. I've never held her in as much disdain as I've held some of our prime ministers, and never held her in as much esteem as I have held, for example, Uncle Archie Roach.

‘No body, no parole’ laws coming to NSW

Offenders who refuse to provide information or assistance to locate their victim’s remains cannot be granted parole, under proposed 'no body no parole' laws.

Who’s a good dog?

Guide Dogs Australia has today revealed the best performing fundraising collection dogs, with Coles Mackay in Queensland taking out the honour of having the top fundraising coin Collection Dog in the country. Liverpool won the NSW category.

U/12s win NSW country rugby championships

The Far North Coast U/12s rugby team won the NSW junior country championships earlier this month in Coffs Harbour. It’s...

Time is up for business as usual on biodiversity

The North Coast Environment Council says it’s about time we had a Prime Minister who understands there is a biodiversity crisis and who is prepared to make a public global commitment to reversing biodiversity loss.

Winter might be over but the threat of residential fires hasn’t been extinguished and Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) is urging the public not to become complacent about home safety.

This winter resulted in 16 residential fire deaths across NSW, the highest death toll on record and four times the 2021 winter total of four.

Minister for Emergency Services and Resilience and Minister for Flood Recovery Steph Cooke said of the 897 residential fires this winter, around 45 per cent didn’t have active smoke alarms and 20 per cent of homes had no smoke alarm at all.

Check your smoke alarms

‘This life-saving message has been repeated time after time – please check your smoke alarms and ensure they’re working.

‘Every one of the deaths we’ve witnessed this winter has been tragic and preventable. Please don’t delay it any longer, go out and purchase a smoke alarm to protect your life and your loved ones.’

FRNSW Commissioner Paul Baxter said it’s important to take simple, inexpensive steps to protect our irreplaceable things; our lives, and the lives of our loved ones. ‘Protecting your loved ones and the home you live in should be your number one priority.

‘We spend a lot of money on the things inside our homes, spending $30 on a working smoke alarm to protect these things is an economical and logical life-saving decision.

‘Fires can happen to you – there are always risks but as we regularly discover, when a smoke alarm sounds, it buys crucial seconds for people to safely get out of a burning home.

Poisonous smoke

Mr Baxter said poisonous smoke is the first threat you’ll generally face in a fire. ‘If those chemicals get into your system, they’ll knock you unconscious or worse, so ensure you also have an escape plan.

‘No matter what season it is, winter or spring, ensure you have a smoke alarm that works.

‘If you’ve got one but it’s turned yellow, get it replaced, it’s past its use-by date.

‘FRNSW is extremely concerned by the devastating loss of life this winter and we will continue to urge people to do everything in their power to be safe from fire risk within their own homes.’

Book a Home Safety Visit

If you’re having trouble replacing smoke alarms or their batteries, you can book a Home Safety Visit, where FRNSW crews can inspect your home to prevent fire and fit smoke alarms for you, free of charge. More information is available at: https://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/page.php?id=9316.

FRNSW also advises the public to:
·      Check and maintain smoke alarms once installed;
·      Clean the lint filter from your clothes dryer after each use;
·      Keep any drying clothes or anything flammable at least a metre from the heater;
·      Clean and maintain any fireplaces;
·      Do not use outdoor heating or cooking equipment inside your home;
·      Check electric blankets are safe for use and never go to bed or leave home with your electric blanket on;
·      Do not overheat wheat bags in the microwave;
·      Do not overload power boards;
·      Never leave cooking unattended;
·      Always use candles under adult supervision and do not leave them unattended where possible;
·      Ensure you have a ‘home fire escape plan” and practice it regularly with your family; and
·      If a fire does occur, get out, stay out and call Triple Zero (000).

Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.


  1. I’m guessing, since they didn’t provide details, that this increase can be attributed to people having to burn wood due to electricity prices. Electricity prices being caused by jamming unreliable energy sources onto the grid. That’s one of the ways people will die from the green agenda, but only one of the ways.

    • Most house fires start in the kitchen, (keep cooking when looking) laundry (not cleaning lint from clothes dryers) and lounge room (many causes for these). People generally turn to “inappropriate” types of gas heating eg external gas heaters, when electricity becomes unaffordable for them. Please don’t use tragic fire fatalities to feed your political agenda. It’s incredibly disrespectful.

      • The push for electrification was on the backs of the countless tragedies that gas lighting, heating, and cooking caused. Sudden increase in house fires when electricity becomes expensive? Reasonable to assume a link.
        To stop effects, you must aim at the cause, and the electrical engineers have been quite clear about unreliable energy sources. Conflating practical human concerns with political ideology is either blatant ignorance, or It’s incredibly disrespectful.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Odd row of lights

Just following up the letter from Sarah Smith in the August 31 issue. It was a Starlink satellite train. My webcam captured the scene. Michael...

Trampling of the graves of the murdered: reply to Will Liley

As I read Will Liley’s response to my article in dedication to my late uncle, I recalled the poem in Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s novel Clandestine in Chile:

Murwillumbah mega-school merger public meeting on Monday

Opposition to the merger of the four Murwillumbah Schools, which includes two primary and two high schools, remains strong. Monday will see Leader of the NSW opposition MP Chris Minns and local MP Janelle Saffin joining concerned parents, students and community members at a town hall meeting in Murwillumbah on Monday at 5.30pm.

Byron Council looking at rain damage

Byron Shire Council says they have staff out and about across the Shire today assessing damage from the rain.