15 C
Byron Shire
August 18, 2026

Police flag concerns over Splendour site expansion plans

Latest News

Sydney Film Festival highlights in Lismore

Following the highest selling film festival in its history, Sydney Film Festival (SFF) is taking highlights from its June...

Other News

Celebrating 25 years of service in Bruns

On Wednesday evening, Deputy Captain Sue Biggar, of the Brunswick Heads NSW Fire and Rescue Station 240, participated in her last drill on her final day of duty.

The AI dog ate my homework

Now that a few AI models have escaped like digital Frankensteins from billionaires’ gold-plated labs and molested other AI models in other labs...

Concrete Surfers return

National circuit mainstays Concrete Surfers have spent the last decade touring the country, selling out shows, supporting major artists and continuously releasing ever-more refined music, and their debut self-titled album was released earlier this month, with a return to the road for a large national tour.

Capitulation is not compromise

The Echo article this week was excellent regarding the Station Street development and it is really good to see...

Exit channel not dam

The extra exit channel to the Richmond River at Boundary Creek sounds like a great idea and well worth...

The Byron Writers Festival is open

Celebrating its 30th year, the Byron Writers Festival opened last night for the first time in the heart of Byron Bay.

Police say they were 'stretched to breaking point' during last year's Splendour in the Grass festival. Photo Jeff Dawson
Police say they were ‘stretched to breaking point’ during last year’s Splendour in the Grass festival. Photo Jeff Dawson

Local police resources, based in Tweed and Byron Shires, were stretched to breaking point at last year’s Splendour in the Grass (SITG) festival, held in late July at the North Byron Parklands site in Yelgun.

The comments come as part of a scathing assessment by crime manager from Tweed Byron local area command (LAC)  Brendan Cullen, who flagged major issues and the potential of disaster that arose from the ‘largest event held on the site to date’.

His is one of many agency submissions to the NSW planning department regarding North Byron Parkland’s application for permanent residency, expansion and approval for 50,000 patrons per day.

Government department and council comments can be found at the planning department’s website.

Inspector Cullen said he was unsupportive of the application until issues such as policing numbers, emergency plans, a safety audit, improved/additional roads and traffic management were addressed.

A northern entry for the site and transport hub linking to Wooyung Road was also suggested.

Inspector Cullen wrote, ‘The [2016] event was sold out with capacity of 32,500 paying patrons per day, of which we have been informed there were 20,100 campers. The site also houses a significant workforce of approximately 3,500 and an undisclosed number of free ticket holders at any one time.’

Fest pays for policing

Perhaps the most remarkable point that arose from the submission was Splendour management confirming with Echonetdaily that they pay police to manage the event. When asked how much was paid at the last event, Splendour management declined to comment.

Splendour in the Grass co-producer Jessica Ducrou told Echonetdaily, ‘Splendour in the Grass operates on a police user-pay system. This essential service helps us meet the needs of our patrons while still fulfilling our responsibilities to the broader community. We understand that as the event grows, so does the requirement for police presence and user-pay services. Splendour is 100 per cent committed to patron safety and will continue to make adjustments to this service based on the number of patrons in attendance.’

Remarkably, Ms Ducrou claims the ‘user-pay service helps ensure that normal policing services to the community can also be maintained.’

Echonetdaily asked for clarification, given it is complete odds with the police submission which indicates they are understaffed. Ms Ducrou replied, ‘We have always worked closely with the NSW Police. The process to date is to provide NSW Police with the approved patron capacity numbers. The NSW Police Service then advise events of the required policing numbers and charge the events for these officers directly. The events have no role in determining final police numbers, this decision is always made by NSW Police.’

Other concerns raised by Inspector Cullen included the ‘consumption of illicit drugs’, with difficulties in mitigating risk owing to crowd numbers, lighting and site layout.’ Pre-loading with alcohol and drugs were also a concern.

The threat level for terrorism, says the report, was considered ‘probable.’

SITG was also rated in the assessment – for the first time – as extreme for violence on the Escalated Licensing Operational Response Model (ELORM).

But the rating was disputed by Ms Ducrou, who said, ‘We’d like to clarify the ELORM Severe Violence rating that was issued after the Splendour 2016 event. The ELORM is a matrix that is applied to a venue that has a capacity of 100 persons through to large scale events (like Splendour), based on the number of incidents.’

‘There is no proportionate weighting or aggregate that is followed based on the number of incidents versus the number of persons in attendance. This means Splendour is currently measured against venues that are as small scale as a 100-person event. We firmly believe that this current rating system does not accurately reflect an event of 32,500 people that had relatively few incidents.’

Insufficient access

Inspector Cullen also said that access on the spine road for the 2016 festival was insufficient for emergency and service vehicles. He goes as far to suggest an outbreak of diarrhoea could not be adequately be addressed owing to the lack of available ambulances.

He says, ‘There is no possibility of evacuating within eight hours at current capacity levels.’

Echonetdaily asked that given patrons were crushed in an accident at the NYE Falls Festival in Lorne, Victoria, would Splendour management endorse Inspector Cullen’s recommendation for SafeWork NSW to audit the site?

Ms Ducrou replied the Lorne incident had a completely unique set of circumstances, ‘that has no bearing on Parklands or Splendour in the Grass.’

‘Splendour has an Event Safety Committee that meets prior to and after the event. We spend a great deal of time in the planning of the event to ensure the safety of event patrons and staff. NSW Police have attended these meetings, and we have undergone a process of positive consultation with them in relation to crowd flows and general patron safety.’

And while Ms Ducrou did not reply to whether she agreed with Inspector Cullen’s suggestion to create a northern entry for the site and transport hub linking to Wooyung Road, she said, ‘What makes Parklands unique is the number of exits on and off the property.’

‘There are five entry/exits at Parklands, compared to one entry/exit point at Belongil Fields when Splendour operated there with a capacity of 17,000 people. In addition, there are a further minimum of six emergency service access points to Parklands, identified and mapped by the RFS and NSW Police. There is a planning process in place with key stakeholders to identify entry and exit points at Parklands and determine best practices.’

Working closely

General manager of North Byron Parklands, Mat Morris, told Echonetdaily, ‘Parklands has always worked closely with both the events (Splendour and Falls) and local emergency services organisations including the NSW Police, State Emergency Services, Rural Fire Services and Roads and Maritime Services to operate in a safe manner covering patrons and staff while minimising impacts on our local community. To this end, we have undertaken many detailed incident simulation workshops with these agencies that strengthens the ongoing capabilities of each event’s Emergency Management Centre.’

‘With the assistance of these key emergency service organisations all eight events held to date at Parklands have been conducted in a safe and responsible manner. Post-event debriefs with these agencies continue to provide valuable opportunities for improvement and we are grateful for the continuing support of these agencies.’

According to the planning department’s website the North Byron Parklands proposal to allow for 50,000 patrons per day and to become a permanent cultural events site is yet to reach the public exhibition stage.



For four decades The Echo has printed the stories some people loved, some people hated, and some pretended not to read. If you want us to keep telling the truth, the real truth, not the sugar-coated version. We’ll need your support to keep the presses rolling.

If you are a local business owner help us and in turn we help you. All The Echo asks for is advertising, not a free ride. It is every advert in The Echo and on www.echo.net.au, which creates the space for all the stories and coverage of community events, happenings and concerns.

If you are a reader you can become a sponsor of The Echo. Your support keeps the us independent.

Even a small one-off or regular donation from you will help keep the echo’s independent voice alive and strong.

Support Us

Become one of the supporters who helps keep independent, local journalism alive in the Byron Shire by contributing anything from as little as the cost of a coffee each month.

You're Wonderful, Thank you for supporting independent journalism in the Byron Shire

You’re supporting The Echo, thank you

Your contribution is keeping independent, local journalism alive in the Northern Rivers.

Because of supporters like you, we can keep every story free for everyone — no paywall, no exceptions. Your money goes directly to funding our newsroom of 40-odd local workers covering the stories that matter to this community.

Tell us what you think, give us your opinion

The Echo loves your letters and comments and is proud to provide a community forum on the issues that matter most to our readers and the people of the NSW north coast. So don’t be a passive reader, email us your epistles at editor@echo.net.au.

The letters deadline for The Echo is noon Friday. Letters longer than 200 words may be cut. The publication of letters is at the discretion of the letters editor. Please remember to include your full name, address and telephone number.

Online comments are no longer available.

Women Who Dared

Australia’s internationally acclaimed Streeton Trio returns to Byron Theatre with Women Who Dared, a powerful chamber music concert celebrating four extraordinary female composers whose...

An iconic Australian sound at the Beachy

Few Australian bands have carved out a sound quite like The Cruel Sea. More than three decades after forming in Sydney, the indie rock icons continue to deliver music that feels unmistakably Australian: dark, bluesy, swaggering and effortlessly cool.

An iconic Australian sound at the Beachy

Join the incredible vocal talents of Judah Kelly, Asabi Goodman and ensemble as they bring you the story of the feature film The Big Chill.

Concrete Surfers return

National circuit mainstays Concrete Surfers have spent the last decade touring the country, selling out shows, supporting major artists and continuously releasing ever-more refined music, and their debut self-titled album was released earlier this month, with a return to the road for a large national tour.