10.7 C
Byron Shire
August 11, 2022
Home Tags Shark attack Ballina

Latest News

Flood on Prince Street

It seems that the strongest impediment to the Prince Street temporary housing is the addition of fill to the...

Other News

Richmond Tweed Regional Library Mobile Library is on the road

Following the destruction of the previous trailer in this year’s unprecedented floods, a replacement trailer for the Richmond Tweed Regional Mobile Library has arrived – it's been polished and loaded with brand-new books and is on the road.

Santos garden

I walked into the open gate at the Santos community garden space with my three-year-old and was asked very...

Editorial – Bye bye, Prince St froggies

It’s worth pausing to reflect on the mass frogacide that just happened on Prince Street, Mullum, which was led by unquestioning Byron Shire councillors and Resilience NSW.

Powerhouse six

Bearfoot is a powerhouse sextet that knows how to dig in and get a crowd bouncing, then brings them...

Backlash

Last week’s Backlash asked why the disused rail corridor couldn’t be utilised to prevent another ‘shemozzle’ at Splendour, suggesting...

Tweed Council refuse aged care facility Tweed Heads

The proposed aged care facility at Caloola Drive Tweed Heads (DA20/0712) was refused at the Tweed Shire Council meeting last Thursday.

Stories about "shark attack Ballina":

Ballina beaches closed after shark attack at Lighthouse Beach

Surf Life Saving NSW has confirmed reports of a shark attack on a 17-year-old surfer at Lighthouse Beach, Ballina, at around 9am this morning...

Ballina will be first to get ‘smart’ drum lines

Ballina will be the first beach in the state to get a new technology, which is used in the shark-infested waters off Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean. But the Humane Society International has ‘expressed regret’ at the government's announcement.

Premier promises swifter action on shark deterrents

Ballina beaches have reopened following Tuesday’s attack on WSL surfer Sam Morgan at Ballina’s Lighthouse Beach. And the premier has promised quicker action on shark deterrent technology for the region but stopped short of nominating a time-frame.

Bull shark blamed for Ballina attack

Update: A bull shark around three metres is believed responsible for an attack on a 20-year-old man at Lighthouse Beach in Ballina around 6pm yesterday. The man was last night flown to a Gold Coast hospital for surgery on serious wounds to his left thigh.

Ballina MP to sit on state government shark inquiry

Ballina MP Tamara Smith will be a member of a just-announced parliamentary inquiry into the management of sharks in NSW waters.

Government says no to shark cull call

The state government has ruled out culling north coast sharks responsible for recent attacks but it has agreed to a $250,000 package to tackle the problem, Ballina mayor David Wright says.

Ballina beaches reopen

Beaches throughout the Ballina Shire have reopened, after closing over the weekend following shark sightings in the area after a fatal shark attack last week.

Two large sharks sighted off Ballina beaches

Updated 11.45am Beaches will remain closed between South Ballina and Lennox Head until further notice following shark sightings late yesterday (Wednesday February 11).

Renewed calls to stay out of the water after shark attack

Update 3pm: Lifeguards have renewed their plea not to swim at Ballina beaches following Monday’s fatal shark attack, with beaches across the shire declared closed until at least Thursday morning.

Ballina beaches stay closed after fatal shark attack

Updated 5.25pm: Police, SES, Surf Lifesavers and Ballina council officers today conducted a search for six kilometres either side of Shelly Beach but found no further information about yesterday's fatal attack or any further shark sitings.

Editorial – Bye bye, Prince St froggies

It’s worth pausing to reflect on the mass frogacide that just happened on Prince Street, Mullum, which was led by unquestioning Byron Shire councillors and Resilience NSW.

Byron Council to vote on major flood recovery works  

Major drainage enhancements in flood-affected areas, and the employment of a Council officer to help residents rebuild and return to their homes, are among a raft of measures proposed by Byron Council under the latest round of disaster funding.

Car park housing

In recent weeks the idea by Council to develop the existing car park in Station Street has dropped out of the news and out...

Secrecy surrounds govt’s Reconstruction Corp

Echo questions remain unanswered around the advisory board appointments for the Northern Rivers Reconstruction Corporation, which the NSW government says will help with ‘rebuilding flood-affected Northern Rivers’.