The eighth Byron Bay International Film Festival officially closed with a gala party on Saturday night after ten days of inspiring cinema, awards, more parties and fascinating panel discussions.
Actor Jack Thompson and his renowned film critic brother Peter Thompson were spotted at Saturday’s closing red carpet event.
Festival director J’aimee Skippon-Volke said, ‘We have had such great, positive feedback about the festival and a really fun vibe at the parties.
It’s terrific to see attendance growing at our regional venues.
‘It just inspires us to make each year better and better.’
And the winners were:
- BBFF Best Film: When My Sorrow Died: The Legend Of Armen Ra & The Theremin (USA), Director Robert Nazar Arjoyan
- BBFF Best Dramatic Feature: The Deflowering Of Eva Van End (Netherlands), Director Michiel ten Horn
- BBFF Best Documentary: When My Sorrow Died: The Legend Of Armen Ra & The Theremin (USA), Director, Robert Nazar Arjoyan
- Screenzone International Documentary Prize: Gore Vidal: The United States Of Amnesia (USA), Director Nicholas D. Wrathall
- BBFF Best Surf Film: OUT In The Line-up (Australia), Director Ian W. Thompson
- BBFF Young Australian Filmmaker Of The Year: Director former Tropfest Winner, Genevieve Clay-Smith for The Interviewer (Australia)
- The Echo Best Byron Film: Tied between 2 Degrees (Australia), Director Jeff Canin and Burra Jurra (Australia), Director Juliet Carrington.
- The Byron At Byron Best Environmental Film: Gasland Part II (USA), Oscar-nominated and Emmy-winning Director, Josh Fox.
- Fox Creek Wines Best Short Film: The Audition (USA), Director Michael Haussman
- BBFF Best Music Video: Tales Of Us by Goldfrapp (UK), Director Lisa Gunning
- BBFF Best Cinematography: God’s Got His Head In The Clouds (Italy), Director Gianluca Sodaro
- BBFF Best Experimental Film: Leviathan Ages (UK), Director Jon Yeo
- Greenhouse FX Best Animation: Shave It (Argentina), Directors Fernando Maldonado & Jorge Tereso
- BBFF Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Northern Rivers: IMAX pioneer, John Wylie