Menu

Qld govt to look at croc plan after attack

Crocodile in northern Queensland. Photo Christian Haugen flickr.com/photos/christianhaugen

Crocodile in northern Queensland. Photo Christian Haugen flickr.com/photos/christianhaugen

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has opened up the possibility of revisiting her government’s crocodile management plan after a man was attacked in the state’s far north.

The man was bitten on the head by a crocodile, believed to be around two metres long, while snorkelling off Lizard Island on Sunday and was treated for minor cuts.

It follows a string of crocodile attacks in northern Queensland in recent months, including one fatality, but Ms Palaszczuk has again ruled out any culling program as suggested by Katter’s Australian Party.

‘We’ve got strict measures in place here in Queensland that protect people … from sharks, and we have to have, I think, stricter measures in place to protect people from crocodile attacks,’ Ms Palaszczuk said on Monday.

‘I’m not talking about culling, I’m talking about a more responsive approach.

‘The current crocodile management plan was only released last month and has been defended by Environment Minister Steven Miles multiple times as “the strongest crocodile management plan the state has ever seen”.

KAP has threatened to block the upcoming state budget unless the government supports its proposal to introduce a crocodile cull, safaris and egg collection.

However, they would have to convince the Liberal National Party opposition, which does not support a cull, but has criticised the government’s plan as not being proactive enough in removing problem crocodiles before they become a threat.

KAP state member for Dalrymple Shane Knuth said the last thing Queenslanders needed was a review.

‘The time for talk is well and truly over,’ Mr Knuth said.

‘We need real action in the form of a controlled cull now to put a stop to the attacks, which seem to be multiplying by the day.’


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

Become a supporter of The Echo

A note from the editorial team

Some of The Echo’s editorial team: journalists Paul Bibby and Aslan Shand, editor Hans Lovejoy, photographer Jeff Dawson and Mandy Nolan

The Echo has never underestimated the intelligence and passion of its readers. In a world of corporate banality and predictability, The Echo has worked hard for more than 30 years to help keep Byron and the north coast unique with quality local journalism and creative ideas. We think this area needs more voices, reasoned analysis and ideas than just those provided by News Corp, lifestyle mags, Facebook groups and corporate newsletters.

The Echo is one hundred per cent locally owned and one hundred per cent independent. As you have probably gathered from what is happening in the media industry, it is not cheap to produce a weekly newspaper and a daily online news service of any quality.

We have always relied entirely on advertising to fund our operations, but often loyal readers who value our local, independent journalism have asked how they could help ensure our survival.

Any support you can provide to The Echo will make an enormous difference. You can make a one-off contribution or a monthly one. With your help, we can continue to support a better informed local community and a healthier democracy for another 30 years.”

Echonetdaily is made possible by the support of all of our advertisers and is brought to you by this week's sponsors Vast Furniture & Homewares Ballina and Falls Festival Byron Bay.