18.7 C
Byron Shire
September 21, 2021

Alleged police assault youth victim needed to be ‘detained, taken to hospital’, says Byron officer

Latest News

Long COVID and the science, so far…

Increasing COVID-19 vaccination rates as quickly as possible is currently a major focus for Australia.

Other News

New cases of COVID-19 below 1,000 for the first time in 25 days

In what is now a general press conference, the Premier spoke to media at 11am this morning about the pandemic and other business.

New COVID – casual contact location – BP Chinderah Southbound

NNSWLHD has been notified of a new casual contact venue visited by a confirmed case of COVID-19 who travelled between Sydney and Brisbane for work.

Strange strategy

The strategy applied by Byron Shire Council (BSC) since 2002 is bemusing at best. Firstly a position was created by...

The old slouch hat

‘This is my favourite,’ we say espite the painfully obvious fact that we all, from time to time enjoy a wide variety...

Queensland passes voluntary assisted dying laws

Dying with Dignity NSW has welcomed the passage of Voluntary Assisted Dying (VAD) laws in Queensland and is hoping that NSW Parliament resumes next month so that this issue can be addressed in NSW without further delay.

NRPP transparency questioned over controversial Evans Head Iron Gates development

Concerns have been raised over the transparency of the process of the Northern Rivers Planning Panel (NRPP), by which it reached a decision, in relation to the Iron Gates development in Evans Head, to ‘accept the amendment of the application under Clause 55 of the Environmental Planning & Assessment Regulations 2000’.

A Byron police officer in a violent scene featuring an alleged assault of a naked youth nearly three years ago says the boy needed to be taken to hospital.

Senior Constable Matthew Roach has worked from the Byron Bay station about six years and has told a Lismore court he’s never used his baton in his thirteen years as an officer.

He was working in partnership with Senior Constable Michial Luke Greenhalgh, now 39 and accused of assault, when the pair responded to a pre-dawn radio call-out to Lateen Lane, in Byron Bay’s CBD, on January 11, 2018.

A naked male was said to be walking around yelling at people.

When Sen-Constable Roach first saw the boy, he thought he looked intoxicated, seemed disorientated and wasn’t focused.

Officer says boy swung at him

The boy was naked and unarmed and Sen-Constable Roach remembers saying something like ‘listen mate, we’re here to help’.

But he had his capsicum spray ready and has told Lismore court the boy kept yelling and advancing.

‘He seemed unpredictable, drug-affected,’ the officer testified.

‘He wasn’t engaging with us, he got closer and closer,’ he said.

Sen-Constable Roach says he told the boy ‘mate, if you don’t calm down you’re going to get a gobful of this,’ before the boy took a ‘drunken haymaker swing’ at him.

Memories combined with video footage

None of the four witnesses so far asked, including the alleged victim, the backpacker hostel manager who called police and two holiday-makers in units overlooking the lane, has recalled the alleged ‘haymaker swing’ in court this week.

But the defence reminded one of the holiday-makers, Shane Marrion, he’d earlier given a statement saying the boy was ‘aggressive’ and ‘seemed to have the strength of three or four men’.

In court this week, Mr Marrion said ‘I wouldn’t say “aggressive”, I’d say “confused”’.

After a brief adjournment, the witness said his memories were now a ‘combination’ of what he saw and the video footage that was broadcast on commercial television and went viral on the internet.

Byron officer had ‘never seen anyone hit with a baton’

Returning to the testimony of Sen-Constable Roach, the Byron officer says the boy’s alleged swing didn’t connect and it ‘appeared the OC spray didn’t affect the person’ so he used the spray again.

Then he says Sen-Constable Greenhalgh used a taser on the boy, who he thinks ‘fell on his side’.

Video footage from the taser showed it was fired at least twice.

Sen-Constable Roach says the officers ‘couldn’t control’ the boy because he was sweaty and got out of their grasp.

He remembers seeing another pair of police on-scene and one of the officers hit the boy with a baton.

He told the court he’d never seen anyone hit with a baton before.

Officer testifies to seeing partner hit boy getting handcuffed

The boy yelled out and fell to the ground, he said, which gave all four officers an ‘opportunity to get on top’.

There was a struggle while Sen-Constable Roach handcuffed the boy and he says at one point he thought the handcuffs looked like they might come off but he stopped that happening by holding them in place with his foot.

The same officer who first stuck the boy brought out another set of cuffs and the boy was then double-cuffed.

Sen-Constable Roach told the court the same officer can be heard in the video evidence saying ‘cunt, give me your hand’.

He says he never saw the use of the baton again and never saw the fourth officer involved use a baton but saw Sen-Constable Greenhalgh use a baton maybe five or six times during the handcuffing process and heard more baton strikes afterwards.

Earlier he had remembered seeing Sen-Constable Greenhalgh positioned at the boy’s torso.

Alleged victim never charged

Back at the station after the boy had been brought in the back of a paddy-wagon, Sen-Constable Roach filled out a ‘Section 22’ form to report him for mental health assessment.

The boy was never formally arrested and no charges were laid against him.

‘He needed to be detained, taken to hospital,’ he said.

The trial of Sen-Constable Michial Greenhalgh for assault continues.

 

 


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

ScoMo does it again

ScoMo recently travelled from the ACT to Sydney, not something to be recommended at the moment. What is an essential worker? Surely someone paying 50...

Teacher survey

The Echo’s survey of local teachers regarding vaccination was as illuminating as it was disappointing. One respondent popped their head out the rabbit hole...

10pm Monday – update of COVID venues of concern

The Northern NSW Local Health District has been notified of a number of venues of concern associated with confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the region.

A new COVID-19 case flies into the Far North Coast

The Northern NSW Local Health District has confirmed that there is a new case of COVID-19 in Northern NSW today, and they will be included in NSW Health’s official reporting tomorrow.