9.7 C
Byron Shire
August 14, 2022

Telstra mobile tower damage ‘reprehensible’

Latest News

Criminalising protest

In another Sstate government descent into criminalising protest, to protect their own government’s sabotage of a liveable planet, last...

Other News

Undesirable

​​An undeniable purpose in living is enjoyment, due to the fact that we have the capability to enjoy. What...

Lismore Council on gender equity in management

Last night Lismore Council met for their monthly meeting and Councillor Big Rob asked a question about gender equality in the upper echelons of Council.

Flat Earth Byron councillors

In face of the facts, an approval of the development application (DA) for a basement car park in Brunswick...

A voice for koalas: Vale Olivia Newton-John

The Rainforest Information Centre has expressed its deep condolences to the family and close friends of Olivia Newton-John who was literally the voice of the koala.

Powerhouse six

Bearfoot is a powerhouse sextet that knows how to dig in and get a crowd bouncing, then brings them...

West Ballina locals concerned about new flood risk

A large group of West Ballina residents are alarmed about a DA which has been submitted to Ballina Shire Council by the Emmanuel Anglican College in Horizon Drive. The proposal, for a STEM and Digital Technology Centre, is planned for a well-known flood-prone area which previously acted as part of a large retention pond.

The damaged mobile tower in Mullumbimby. Photo Simon Haslam.

Telstra says last night’s fire at the mobile site in Mullumbimby appears to have been deliberately lit. There is currently no mobile coverage into Greater Mullumbimby.

Telstra Regional General Manager Mike Marom that is was terrible. ‘At a time like this, when communications are so crucial to flood recovery, to have our mobile site damaged and critical telecommunications taken out is reprehensible.

‘What is already a difficult time for Mullumbimby has been made that much harder by what we suspect is an unnecessary, dangerous and selfish act of vandalism.

Crews on site today

Mr Marom said Telstra was working closely with NSW Police on their investigation. ‘We have crews on site this morning to assess the damage and work out how we can bring connectivity back to Mullumbimby as quickly as possible. It could take several days to bring mobile connectivity – in some form – back to the town.

‘We’re working on bringing a temporary mobile service in to Mullumbimby but, with a number of our temporary mobile services already deployed elsewhere across the NSW and Queensland flood zones, we’re having to balance the need for mobile connectivity in a number of places at the same time.’

Mr Maron said Telstra has always been transparent about the need to not only bring services back online in the immediate aftermath of the floods but also the overwhelming need to upgrade services in Mullumbimby, and the recently completed 4G and 5G upgrade works meant the site was operating better than it ever had before.

‘We’ve also been supporting communities at recovery centres with mobile connectivity and hot spots so people can stay in touch with family and friends and services like government agencies.’


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

8 COMMENTS

    • I believe this sabotage act is actually domestic terrorism and cannot be flippantly dismissed.
      Thus it is far removed from any self-gratification ‘vandalism’ – as depicted by Mike Marom.
      Australia was a great country once, but now going down-hill.
      It is being quickly being destroyed by internal division agendas and neo-Marxism.

      • Amazing how many people will make public statements (including Justine Elliot) about “deliberate burning” and “terrorism”, based on “news” articles with no evidence or proof been established yet. Telstra have not yet explained how they f**ked up our comms so badly during this latest weather event. Maybe they should be convincing us that they now have that sorted. I doubt it is one fire brought down the whole network again.

      • Do you know what neo marxism rob, a Tory invention. I think more likely one of those qanon freedom fighters who are as far from the left as you describe it.

    • Perhaps the perpetrators were from the presently silent anti-Dunoon dam protest group, FP ?
      As they just know new dams + 5G cause floods.

  1. Hope they “throw the book” at these idiots. That’s the only way they will find out that following their stupid beliefs has serious consequences.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Mullum pods

First, Hans Lovejoy’s article ‘emergency wedged’ was educational, factual and provided valuable information to the community. Michele Grant’s letter (27 July) was emotive overgeneralisations...

Flood residents get $650 from Lismore Council

Lismore City Mayor Steve Krieg today announced that 1,558 residents will receive a grant of $650 from the Lismore Flood Appeal.

Barilaro begs off today’s Upper House committee inquiry

Today's scheduled hearing for the Upper House committee inquiry into the appointment of Mr John Barilaro as Senior Trade and Investment Commissioner to the Americas has been cancelled.

The COVID-19 Booster: Latest news from the pandemic

The COVID-19 Booster is Cosmos Magazine’s weekly shot of the latest research, news and data from the pandemic.