19.3 C
Byron Shire
May 29, 2022

Brunswick foreshore land grab

Latest News

Primex Sustainable Farming and Primary Industries Expo new date confirmed

After being postponed due to the flooding and ongoing wet weather the 2022 Primex Sustainable Farming and Primary Industries Expo and will now go ahead on November 10–12.

Other News

Comment – National Party encumbrance a problem for Liberals in NSW too

There is no shortage of NSW Liberal MPs out in the media warning they could be next to fall in the push from independent candidates that saw a massive shake up of politics in Australia last weekend. 

Action after the flood: Mullum residents discuss flooding

Mullumbimby Residents Association (MRA) held a public meeting at the Ex-Services Club on May 16, and with approximately 150 attending it exceeded expectations.

One person is in ICU with covid in the Northern Rivers region

There is one person in ICU in the Northern NSW Local Health District and 23 people in hospital with COVID-19. 

Beehives lost during floods: DPI

Statistics around the loss of livestock in the Byron Shire have been released by the NSW Department of Primary...

Organic avocados at the farmers markets

We love it when the fuerte avocados make their way back to the market. As I walked over to...

Computers donated to home schooled kids in Lismore

There nothing like the support of the CWA ladies to help get you through a disaster and the Lismore CWA Evening Branch were very pleased to be able to help their community once again to supply computers to some flood-affected Lismore kids.

[author]Ray Moynihan[/author]

The NSW state government has demanded compulsory acquisition of prime parcels of council land around Brunswick Heads waterways, sparking renewed claims that up-market tourist developments could soon replace camping and caravan parks.

Council this week considered an urgent request by the government to take over road reserves in Brunswick Heads close to caravan parks and other public land.

During public access at Council’s meeting, local resident Sean O’Meara warned parts of the foreshore could ultimately be fenced off for private tourist resorts, and riverside walkways could be ‘stolen’ from local families.

Mr O’Meara described the urgent request for compulsory acquisition as a ‘cowardly move to push this through before the community and Council has time to act,’ and he called for ‘full investigation into the validity of the plans’.

Councillors later voted unanimously to write to the minister and local member Don Page expressing concern about the threatened ‘loss of public access and public amenity’, and called on council staff to seek a legal opinion on the validity of the acquisition documents.

At same time Mayor Jan Barham asked a question in the state’s upper house seeking an explanation as to why compulsory public acquisition was being used for the ‘commercial purpose of holiday park expansion’.

Responding to questions from Echonetdaily, Don Page said acquisition was simply to ‘formalise’ longstanding use of the land as holiday parks, which have over the years encroached on road reserves.

He said Council had previously pulled out of negotiations to sell the land, and until the acquisition proceeded, the trust which ran the parks would be ‘unable to plan for future infrastructure including footpaths, that will benefit the whole community as well as park residents and holiday makers’.

Asked whether it was possible to guarantee that all current public access to foreshore and reserves would continue after any coming re-development, Don Page said, ‘Yes, other than the fencing of the Terrace Reserve Caravan Park on the roadway, which will prevent local residents from walking through the caravan park.

‘The fencing of the park is intended to provide paying guests with the security they expect, given the history of vandalism, theft and public safety issues at the park.’

The North Coast Accommodation Trust – controlling more than 20 parks and reserves – is administered by former Byron Council employee Jim Bolger, who confirmed plans to fence off the Terrace Reserve park on the south side of Brunswick Heads.

Mr Bolger rejected claims there would be resort-style redevelopment of the three iconic caravan parks in the village. And while local residents have strongly opposed the possibility, Mr Bolger said, ‘they’ll have some new upper-end cabins and updated accommodation. That’s what people want.’

Asked whether the re-development would be tendered out, Mr Bolger said ‘we do most of it in house, depending on the cost’.

Draft plans for the parks’ re-development include specific commitments to environmental sustainability but also aim to ‘optimise’ tourist potential and income.

The plans for Massey Greene and Terrace Reserve parks also both include clear commitments to a ‘public access corridor’ along the foreshore – which appear to be in conflict with recent statements from Jim Bolger and Don Page that some public access will be lost.

Mr Page says those plans are currently being reviewed in light of community feedback and that ‘revised plans will be re-exhibited and they will include improvements to foreshore areas and public access’.

Jan Barham, who met with Mr Page about the issue this week, expressed fears of a ‘tragic gentrification and commercialisation of public land’.

The sprightly eighty-year-old D’Arcy O’Meara – born in Brunswick Heads opposite the public park that may soon be fenced off – says his fear was local residents would be excluded from parts of the foreshore.


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Reasons to be cheerful

After nine long years of being led by the least among us, Australia’s future feels optimistic. Thanks, Western Australia, you were instrumental in booting those numpties out! 

Regrets for treatment of Wardell CORE?

After Ballina Council's recent decision, at its Finance and Facilities Committee Meeting, to effectively evict the Wardell Community Organised Resilience Effort (CORE) from the War Memorial Hall, in mid-flood recovery, some were having second thoughts at their Ordinary Meeting yesterday.

Keep your eyes and ears open for Albert’s Lyrebird

Tweed Council is asking that you put your best bird listening ears on this June and capture the sounds of a rare bird.

Progress at Ross Lane?

The perennial question 'is Ross Lane open?' edged closer to an answer yesterday, with Ballina Council discussing a range of options to solve the flooding problem which regularly cuts off Lennox's main access to the west. Ross Lane has been closed again this week.