10.9 C
Byron Shire
September 22, 2021

Byron Council settles Belongil court cases

Latest News

September 21: NNSWLHD COVID update and Byron-Tweed lockdown

The Northern NSW Local Health District held a press conference at Lismore Base Hospital this afternoon.

Other News

A new COVID-19 case flies into the Far North Coast

The Northern NSW Local Health District has confirmed that there is a new case of COVID-19 in Northern NSW today, and they will be included in NSW Health’s official reporting tomorrow.

Union wants mandatory vaccination across the board

Representatives of NSW prison officers say they are demanding mandatory vaccinations be adopted across the NSW justice system, with the union saying inmates who refuse the jab should face the same public health restrictions unvaccinated members of the public do.

Teacher survey

The Echo’s survey of local teachers regarding vaccination was as illuminating as it was disappointing. One respondent popped their...

A letter to my vaccine-hesitant friends

Brought to you by The Echo and Cosmos Magazine Addressing your concerns… A few weeks ago, I discovered that some of my friends –...

Found – Have you seen Steve? Missing person

Mullumbimby man Steve Mustchin went missing at 11am this morning from Byron Bay Hospital and his family are asking locals to keep an eye out for him.

Pizzaholic love

Over the past 18 years at Earth ‘n’ Sea Pizza, Denise and David have always appreciated the support from...

Under the resolution to a long-running Supreme Court case, Belongil beachfront landowners will now be able to 'maintain' existing protective structures but not upgrade or replace them. Photo Chris Dobney
Under the resolution to a long-running Supreme Court case, Belongil beachfront landowners will now be able to retain existing protective structures but not maintain, upgrade or replace them. Photo Chris Dobney

Chris Dobney

Byron Shire Council has settled two long-running court cases brought against it by separate groups of Belongil landowners.

But the council says ratepayers will not be required to fund the cost, which has been borne by its insurers.

As part of the resolution, council has agreed to allow the property owners to ‘retain any existing protective [beach] works in their current form’ but if they want to ‘maintain, upgrade or replace’ them, they will have to seek council approval.

Council says the resolution did not involve any admissions or findings of liability against it.

Nor does it have any impact on council’s policy of planned retreat.

Two separate groups of Belongil property owners instigated the Supreme Court litigation, the longest of which has been running for six years, despite what council says were ‘many attempts to have the matter resolved. ’

In the first proceeding, the group claimed to have ‘suffered significant financial loss and diminution in value of their properties as a result of council’s historical acts, decisions and omissions relating to the works in front of the Jonson Street car park and generally in relation to coastal matters.’

The owners in the second proceeding claimed to have ‘incurred significant financial loss and diminution in value of their properties as a result of Council’s acts, decisions and omissions during the 2009 storm event.’

Byron Shire Council’s legal services coordinator, Ralph James, said the agreement ‘allows the landowners time to submit applications to undertake lawful protective works at their own cost.’

‘Whether the landowners decide to apply to undertake works is a matter for them,’ he said.

Mr James said that during the years of litigation there had been ‘significant changes to NSW State planning regulations within the Coastal Protection Act and the State Environmental Planning Policy (Infrastructure).

‘As a result, an approvals process for coastal protection works now exists and allows property owners to construct protective works with consent.’

No greater protection

Mr James said the resolution ‘does not provide the property owners with greater or different protection than currently exists. Nor does it suggest any liability on the part of Council for the financial losses claimed by the property owners.’

‘It merely affords the property owners the necessary time to allow them to take steps to apply for lawful protective works, the same as any other coastal ratepayer.

‘The resolution ends what could be many more years of defending the matter and consuming council’s resources.

‘Whilst council had the benefit of insurance cover in respect of the claims pleaded against it, the litigation was a significant strain on council resources.

‘Resolution of these matters will give the incoming council clear air in discussing coastal protection matters,’ Mr James said.

He also took the opportunity to spruik the council’s controversial Draft Coastal Zone management Plan, which is still being evaluated by the Department of Environment and Heritage and ‘allows an adaptive sea wall and walkway on a section of the Belongil beachfront.’


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

2 COMMENTS

  1. So while Councils resources are eroded by the residents of Belongil’s continual court process, they claim that it will not take up rate payers funds. How is that? It has been taking the rate payers funds (as stated) for at least 6 years. Funds which rightly should have been channelled into repairing the shocking state of the roads in the shire and possibly helping people in the area who actually need help. Not funding wealthy Belongil Landowners to maintain their front yards. WHY was Belongil allowed to have residential building on it any way? Any one with half a brain would be able to figure that erosion from king tides and violent storms is going to happen at some time or another. But of course Money Talks and poor people walk. Byron has become a mecca for money hungry investors and yuppies (does that term still apply) forcing any person with limited finances out of the area. Is this fair and equal? Indeed is it right? I am shocked and appalled at the state of this town. Originally populated by hard working industrial workers, discovered by ferals and hippies transformed into a lovely alternative peaceful ideological place, discovered by money and ruined. Motels, Hotels, backpackers hostels, legal and illegal holiday lets, air B & B’s, and any conceivable space turned into the same. Every one wants a piece of it. But as has always been the argument how is the town supposed to cope with this steady influx of people wanting to take over. How does the infrastructure cope how do the roads cope with the constant barrage of traffic. How do we cope? we put in parking meters and charge for parking.Whats next traffic lights and high rises hey???

  2. Council’s resources are not eroded. They are CUT. There is a challenge to be mayor by one of the team that is costing the ratepayers their money.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Entertainment in the Byron Shire for the week beginning 22 September, 2021

Please check, at the end of lockdown to see whats on.

Speech pathology student numbers soar at SCU

The number of domestic applications for the undergraduate speech pathology course at Southern Cross University have increased 79 per cent compared to the same time last year.

BREAKING: Byron and Tweed shires go into week-long lockdown

Stay-at-home orders will be introduced for the Byron Shire, Tweed and Kempsey Local Government Areas (LGAs) from 5pm today for seven days due to an increased COVID-19 public health risk.

Ballina charity ball to raise funds for men’s mental health

Locals will have the chance to support local men with their mental health when the Night of Hope Charity Ball takes place in Ballina on October Ball.