Menu

Second Nude Ain’t Rude Rally on the cards

The 1998 Australia Day Nude Ain’t Rude rally on Belongil beach. Photo Jeff Dawson

Mullumbimby activist Dean Jefferys says Byron could soon see the second Nude Ain’t Rude rally in 20 years if his meeting with police on Thursday does not produce results.

He said he was looking for answers from the police about their ‘zero tolerance’ approach to nudity outside the Byron Shire Council’s declared clothing-optional area at Tyagarah, adding ‘plenty of people who wouldn’t describe themselves as nudists or naturists like a quick skinny dip now and again’.

Mr Jefferys said the police had a ‘blinkered approach’ to the issue of sexual harassment on the shire’s beaches meaning ‘now anyone who is naked is a target’.

‘They should be policing cases of lurid sexual behavior, which is what the complaints have been about.

‘I’ve heard people have phoned cops when someone is wanking in the bushes – and they just haven’t turned up,’ he said.

Meanwhile Mr Jefferys is recommending people who want take the occasional skinny dip avoid the area between Brunswick Heads and Byron Bay.

‘In my view all the beaches in the shire should be clothes optional except the populated, flagged areas,’ he said.

Closed shop

Mr Jefferys was also critical of the Safe Beaches Committee, a group set up to oversee the remaining 800 metres of clothing optional beach in the shire, and made up of representatives from police, council, a naturist group, Tyagarah residents and Elements resort.

‘I don’t feel there’s representation of the general community on Safe Beaches,’ he told Echonetdaily.

‘I couldn’t find out how to get invited [to last week’s meeting] and one of the residents who did go told me she “wasn’t allowed to talk about it”,’ he added.

‘There needs to be a more broadly representative group than Safe Beaches*,’ he said. ‘It seems like it’s a closed shop.’

Hassled in nude area

Meanwhile a man says he has been harassed by police within the 800-metre clothing optional beach at Tyagarah.

Echonetdaily reader, Mr D James, said he felt threatened after a 4WD police car followed him as he walked naked along the legal stretch of beach.#

The 4WD pulled up nearby, with one officer repeatedly demanding, ‘Where have you come from?’ Mr James said.

He described the officers as staring at him in a manner that made him ‘uneasy’.

‘I wanted to let him know that I’m part of a group of locals that is working hard to keep this beach clothing optional,’ he said, adding it was only when he told them ‘I’m one of the good guys’ that they ‘slowly unlocked their stare and focused back towards the almost empty beach.’

*Echonetdaily has requested to see a copy of the minutes of last week’s Safe Beaches committee meeting but a decision has yet to be made.

# Echonetdaily has sought response from Tweed-Byron police in relation to Mr James’ claims.


One response to “Second Nude Ain’t Rude Rally on the cards”

  1. Selene Richards says:

    To Dean Jeffrey’s and Aslan Shand I would like to draw your attention to the wonder of the beach this morning. migratory seabirds resting and nesting, beach hyacinth in bloom on undisturbed dunes. Could your rally perhaps be to address the threats to real nature on the beach between Brunswick Heads and Belongil for instance the threatened migratory seabirds that are trying to nest. By the way it is much easier to see all of nature without the penises blocking the view.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

Become a supporter of The Echo

A note from the editorial team

Some of The Echo’s editorial team: journalists Paul Bibby and Aslan Shand, editor Hans Lovejoy, photographer Jeff Dawson and Mandy Nolan

The Echo has never underestimated the intelligence and passion of its readers. In a world of corporate banality and predictability, The Echo has worked hard for more than 30 years to help keep Byron and the north coast unique with quality local journalism and creative ideas. We think this area needs more voices, reasoned analysis and ideas than just those provided by News Corp, lifestyle mags, Facebook groups and corporate newsletters.

The Echo is one hundred per cent locally owned and one hundred per cent independent. As you have probably gathered from what is happening in the media industry, it is not cheap to produce a weekly newspaper and a daily online news service of any quality.

We have always relied entirely on advertising to fund our operations, but often loyal readers who value our local, independent journalism have asked how they could help ensure our survival.

Any support you can provide to The Echo will make an enormous difference. You can make a one-off contribution or a monthly one. With your help, we can continue to support a better informed local community and a healthier democracy for another 30 years.”

Echonetdaily is made possible by the support of all of our advertisers.