Though confusing at first, the Lennox Head Village One-Way Traffic Trial certainly created much needed extra car park spaces.
It was originally intended to conduct the trial through to July 2019 however following a forum hosted by the Lennox Head Chamber of Commerce on Tuesday April 9, where many businesses expressed that they were suffering declines in trade due to the change, council found it was appropriate to review the continuation of the trial.
Following representations from the Lennox Head Business Chamber, an extraordinary council meeting was held on Monday April 15 to consider feedback from the Lennox business community and to determine whether to continue or end the one-way trial.
The timing of this decision was important due to the school holidays and Easter and ANZAC public holidays.
The one-way trial commenced on Monday March 11 after previous community consultation supported the trial of a one-way traffic arrangement. The trial was established to give the community and council a practical understanding of how a one-way traffic arrangement and how various parking options would operate.
As the trial progressed various modifications have been made to assist with traffic flow and parking.
Council launched an online survey last week to receive community feedback on the one-way traffic trial. Over 975 responses have been received, with 67 per cent of respondents preferring two-way traffic and 25% one-way. The remaining respondents were uncertain or had no preference.
Council’s Director Civil Services John Truman says that feedback from the Chamber is that they were appreciative of council conducting the trial, and engaging the community in this way for this issue. ‘The previous consultation identified a high level of interest in the trial, and the trial has been successful because it has enabled the chamber and council to assess the response of the community.
‘The online survey will remain open for a limited period of time,’ said John Truman. ‘Although we’ve had a significant response to the survey we have received enquiries from residents still wanting to provide their feedback. This feedback, along with traffic counts and other submissions will be valuable information for the future planning of the upgrade of the Lennox Village Centre.’
Truman says council staff will now undertake works to revert back to a two-way arrangement. ‘If possible this will be completed prior to the Easter public holiday period.
‘We need to remove the concrete bollards and reinstate original line marking for traffic lanes and parking. The timing of this work however, will be dependent on weather. Waste collection services in Rayner Lane will revert back to pre-trial arrangements next week. Affected residents will receive a letter from our waste staff during the week.’
Truman says council will continue its consultation with the community to work towards achieving the preferred detail design for the Lennox Head Village Renewal project.
‘Council is committed to enhancing the public amenity and deliver improved economic outcomes for the local community.
‘We have allocated a preliminary estimate of $5.5 million for the renewal project with an aim to be completed in 2021 before the Lennox Head Centenary in 2022.’