Richardson won’t stand in the 2020 Byron election

Notification of the Facebook message.

With local council elections being held later this year, there has been a lot of speculation about who will be running for office in the Byron Shire.

On Monday afternoon Byron Mayor Simon Richardson made it clear what his intentions were after an announcement on Facebook.

‘After significant consideration, I have decided not to seek re-election to continue on as Mayor of our wonderful Shire,’ he said in a post.

‘I am not nominating for two reasons: For most of my time as Mayor, it was an approximately 60 hour plus per week commitment. Now, finding myself as a sole parent of two daughters, I cannot commit to the time required to do the job as it should be done. I would rather try to be a great dad than try to be a great mayor.’

Focussing on solutions

Mr Richardson said that after eight years as mayor and 12 years on council, he wants to focus his energies solely on solutions, something, he says, he cannot do on Council.

‘I applaud the validity of those who draw attention to problems, however, I wish to spend my focus on helping solutions come to life. Focusing on problems may allow our vehicle to dodge a pothole, but only creating solutions will move it forward down the road, which is what our society needs if we are to overcome the immense global challenges facing us.

Mr Richardson said that he is excited about the last stretch of his mayoral journey. ‘I will continue to commit myself to trying to represent the whole community to the best of my ability whilst I am in the job. Thanks.’

Deputy Mayor Sarah Ndiaye

Fellow Greens member and current deputy mayor, Councillor Sarah Ndiaye says it’s been an honour working alongside Simon Richardson. ‘He has vision, passion and has really put heart and soul into the role.

Cr Ndiaye says Richardson will be greatly missed but he has achieved a lot and will leave a wonderful legacy few will truly understand. ‘Right now though, he may be in for longer than he thinks and he is the perfect person to lead us during these unprecedented times.’

At this stage, the 2020 NSW Local Government elections are planned for Saturday, 12 September.

6 responses to “Richardson won’t stand in the 2020 Byron election”

1. Elizabeth says:

Thank you for your leadership over these past 8 years Simon.
    You have bravely soldiered on through the face of adversity, and I applaud you for your courage.
    Now you can go and CONTINUE to be a great Dad, just a great Dad with more time….The most important job in the world 🙂

2. Callum says:

Good riddance! Just wish our Mayor in Ballina would nick off too and enjoy his dotage somewhere else.

3. Rossco Phillips says:

Let’s get real Simon … you’ve abused the power and the mandate you were given at the last election by ordinary people like me to protect Byron Shire from this myopic world of “jobs and growth” … but your legacy is clear for all to see.

Jumping ship before the voters toss you overboard ?

You have done damage to the Greens ‘brand’ and I am hoping some ‘real’ community and environmentally focused candidates can fill the void, because we can’t trust the other Greens in your voting bloc. They’ve had their chance and failed miserably.

4. Ginga says:

May love flow in the Bundjalung & … all the way ‘round.

Blessings

5. Amanda Findley says:

From one Green Mayor to another – Simon no one knows what its really like to put your heart and soul into the work we do in local government – i know first hand the sacrifice’s you make on a daily basis – the complexity of the decisions and the hate that comes your way no matter what the outcome. Go well Simon, may your last months be rewarding and may your children reflect with you in the future on the job you have done so well.

Amanda Findley – Mayor of Shoalhaven CIty

6. Ginga says:

…. & that’s not all I said.