It is The Byron Shire Quiz!
How much do you think you know about the Byron Shire?
Ross Kendall challenges you to take The Byron Shire Quiz!
Every correct entry sent to The Echo by locals will receive a free subscription and/or delivery of The Echo to their door each week.
For every incorrect answer please send a financial donation to The Echo to help keep brain teasing independent journalism alive.
The Byron Shire Quiz:
1. What is the name of the vessel that became ‘The Wreck’ in Byron Bay, and in what year did it run aground?
2. When the NSW government sold the old Mullumbimby Hospital site to the Byron Shire Council in 2018, how much did it sell for?
3. Who was the sculptor who created Byron Bay’s infamous ‘Disco Dong’, and in what year was it erected? (pun intended).
4. In the 1950s Byron Bay was occupied with the slaughter of which two animals and what type of mining activity?
5. Where in the Byron Shire will you read this inscription: ‘Their creed: I pass this way but once, any good thing I can do or any kindness I can show, let me do it now. For I shall not pass this way again.’
6. Which rolling stone has read The Echo?
7. Does the Wilsons River, that flows under Keys Bridge (Coorabell Rd) near Federal, flow all the way to Lismore?
8. Jo Breen is a character who makes a sea-change in the book called Mullumbimby (2013). Who wrote this book? Hint: They also won the inaugural long-form Walkley Award for an essay published in the Griffith Review.
9. In April 2019 the Byron Shire received a commendation from the Danish ambassador – what did we do to deserve this?
10. In what year did the Byron Bay Red Devils first grade rugby league team last win the premiership? In what year was the club’s last premiership in Ladies League Tag?
11. What is the name of the beer served in Brunswick Heads that helps support the RFS and has the stamp of approval from Paul Hogan?
12. Possum Shoot Road and Coopers Shoot Road are names of thoroughfares in the Byron Shire. What was originally ‘shot’ down them?
13. What was the name of the snail species relocated to make way for Byron Bay’s new bypass?
14. Every lighthouse has a distinct time signature to make it uniquely identifiable for seafarers… how long does Byron’s lighthouse take to complete a full circle?
15. Who was Australia’s first Indigenous judge, what local village did he grow up in, and where is there a playing field named in his honour? (no pun intended… okay maybe a little bit).
16. What date do Crowded House, Paul Kelly, Jimmy Barnes and Midnight Oil (among others) have in common?
17. Which former World Champion Surfer lives in Byron Bay and featured in the movie Girls Can’t Surf?
The Wollongbar, 14 May 1921.
Corey Thomas, December 2018.
Pigs, whales and sand mining.
The Bangalow Show Ground entrance
6. Keith Richards
8. Melissa Lucashenko
Locals put a big effort into trying to find missing backpacker, Theo Hayez.
10. 2008, 2017
Hotel Brunswick Classic Brew – Summer Ale.
12. Felled trees
13. Mitchell’s Rainforest Snail
14. 15 seconds
Bob Bellear, Billinudgel, Shara Boulevard Ocean Shores
They are all scheduled to play at Bluesfest 2022
17. Pauline Menczer