13.3 C
Byron Shire
May 14, 2021

New spate of Brunswick break-ins

Latest News

Bluesfest announces October dates for 2021 festival

After two disappointing cancelations of their event, Bluesfest has announced that they will hold the 2021 festival over the...

Other News

Plans to increase building heights in Byron CBD may be shelved

Byron Council’s controversial plan to increase building height limits on a block in the centre of Byron Bay looks set to be abandoned at this week’s planning meeting.

Save Broken Head

Jan Barham, Broken Head Broken Head is precious but fragile. Again, it’s under threat and it’s urgent to act now....

Development of the Belongil Spit

Jo Faith, Newtown I was gobsmacked when I read that the ‘Greens’ mayor’s parting gift was to aid privatisation of land...

Go straight to the source on the Future Water Project

Rous County Council has announced a series of information days to be held this month where the community can ‘drop in’ and find out more about the revised draft Future Water Project 2060.

A grubby business

Cr Cate Coorey, Byron Shire Council Among the reasons Simon Richardson gave for his retirement from the mayoralty was the...

Filming of Byron Baes begins with no indigenous consultation

Filming of the Netflix series Byron Baes has reportedly commenced without any effort made by the show's production company – Eureka Productions – to consult with local indigenous groups or the local Council.

Chris Dobney

Residents of Terrace Reserve Holiday Park at Brunswick Heads are taking extra care with security after a spate of break-ins in the park, including robberies conducted in rooms where residents were asleep.

According to information received by Echonetdaily, the robberies are taking place between 2am and 3am, with a similar modus operandi, including slashing snibbed screen doors to gain entry in situations where solid doors have been left open during warmer weather.

Echonetdaily is aware of at least three instances where this technique was used. In all cases the matter was reported to police and in all cases mobile phones, money and cashcards were taken.

One residence was broken into twice, the first time via the front screen door and later via the entrance from the adjacent garage. On the second occasion the resident had taken valuables to her bedroom, where they were stolen while she was sleeping.

A spokesperson for North Coast Holiday Parks management declined to say whether the Terrace had increased security patrols as a result of the break-ins.

Colin Woodbury told Echonetdaily, ‘we have onsite managers and [external] lighting but we can only slow them down; we can’t stop them. A security safety audit has been conducted and everybody’s trying to work together.’

But, he said, ‘if somebody wants something badly enough, they’re going to do it [break in]’.

Mr Woodbury added that the matter was now in the hands of the police.

Echonetdaily was told one break-in was aborted after two people illuminated by a cigarette lighter were spotted in a caravan annexe and ran off. One was described as a blond male youth.

According to one resident, Brunswick Heads police said they had a suspect but so far no charges have been laid.

Other petty thefts have been reported in the town, including just this week the removal of a skateboard and skate shoes on successive nights from the back veranda of a ground-floor unit in Booyung Street.

Police say they have received a number of complaints that are being investigated. If anyone has witnessed any suspicious activity or have any knowledge in relation to the incidents they are encouraged to contact Brunswick Heads Police or CrimeStoppers 1800 333 000. Information can be provided anonymously.

 


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

1 COMMENT

  1. SAME SORT OF BURGLARY HAPPENED AT TWEED HEADS ON
    THE MORNING OF 21/2/12. THREE UNITS IN MUGGA WAY &
    A HOUSE IN PARKES DR. WERE ALL BURGLED WHILE OWNERS
    SLEPT. MONEY, CARDS, KEYS, CAMERAS & COMPUTER WERE STOLEN. THE THREE GROUND FLOOR UNITS WERE ENTERED BY A THREE INCH CUT IN THE SCREEN OF SECURITY DOOR & UNLATCHING LOCK WITH FINGER OR A PIECE OF WIRE. POLICE & FORINSIC ATTENDED BUT NOTHING HAS BEEN HEARD OF SINCE.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Power outage in Byron Shire

Power supply company Essential Energy says that approximately 1,780 homes and businesses were without supply this morning.

Filming of Byron Baes begins with no indigenous consultation

Filming of the Netflix series Byron Baes has reportedly commenced without any effort made by the show's production company – Eureka Productions – to consult with local indigenous groups or the local Council.

Byron Comedy Festival launched with a laugh

At a hilarious sold-out launch of the Byron Comedy Festival, Dr Karl Kruszelnicki had the entire Byron Bay Surf Club giggling last night

School Strike for Climate next Friday

Next Friday from 10am Byron Shire students will be demanding political action on the climate emergency in what they and their supporters say is our present, future and reality.