A severe thunderstorm warning is current for the northern rivers and parts of the mid north coast
According to the weather bureau, severe thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones and damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Lismore, Grafton, Coffs Harbour, Tenterfield, Sawtell and Dorrigo.
Radar images showed severe weather moving east from Lismore at around 2.20pm this afternoon.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES [NSW and ACT] on 132
500 or visit http://www.essentialenergy.com.au/content/unplanned1.
If you experience an electricity outage call Essential Energy on 132080.