25.1 C
Byron Shire
October 16, 2021

‘Super’ high school plan for Ballina

Latest News

Let’s get real

AFL Aussie Rules Grand Final in Western Australia... Rugby League Grand Final in Queensland... Melbourne Cup in Tasmania?    Margaret Keating,...

Other News

Girl Guides launch Child Safe Child Friendly Framework

It’s International Day of the Girl Child and Girl Guides Australia are taking the opportunity to launch their Child Safe Child Friendly Framework.

International Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day 2021

Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day is an annual day of remembrance for the families of lost babies and is observed on October 15.

Richmond Tweed libraries only open for Click & Collect until December

All Richmond Tweed Regional Library branches and the Mobile Library will be offering free Click & Collect and online services only from today until December 1.

Wildlife Hospital sets sights on Wollongbar location

A proposal for a wildlife hospital on a 2.39 hectare parcel of Crown land in Lindendale Road at Wollongbar, is before Ballina Council and on public exhibition. Northern Rivers Wildlife Hospital chair, Ninian Gemmell, welcomed consent for the use of Crown land for the proposed hospital.

Tackling mosquitoes together in Ballina

Following its successful launch late last year, Northern Rivers councils and the North Coast Public Health Unit are once again running Tackling Mosquitoes Together, a behaviour change program to reduce the disease risks and nuisance of mosquitoes in homes and local communities.

Charges after cars damaged in police pursuit – Coffs Harbour

Police say a man has been charged following a pursuit, where a number of cars – including an unmarked police car – were sideswiped on the Mid-North Coast yesterday.

Ballina's out-of-date high school building, which the state government has promised to replace if re-elected. Photo Plakau
Ballina’s out-of-date high school building, which the state government has promised to replace if re-elected. Photo Plakau

Chris Dobney

The coalition has promised to expand Ballina High School with the construction of a new building to cater for 1,000 students if re-elected. But the opposition has warned the plan is dependent on a controversial sale of the power grid.

Premier Mike Baird and education minister Adrian Piccoli were in Ballina yesterday to unveil the ambitious $40 million plan, which would see Ballina High School and the secondary section of Southern Cross School merged into a single campus.

Mr Piccoli said there had been much discussion over the years about the options for the growing secondary population in Ballina but the consensus was that a single high school catering for around 1,000 students would allow a wider curriculum to be offered.

‘I think the majority of parents will support the announcement that’s been made because we will have a world class school right here in Ballina,’ he told ABC yesterday.

He said there would be no job losses as the result of the plan, as all Southern Cross secondary teachers would be relocated to the new school.

He added that the move would give Southern Cross School room to expand in its existing campus and grow its distance education section.

But he admitted that there would be insufficient recreation space within the new high school grounds and said discussions would begin immediately with Ballina council ‘over shared community, sporting and cultural facilities’.

The premier told the media the new school would be ‘state of the art’.

‘Ballina High School will be the envy of not only the state but the nation,’ he said.

Work on the new school would commence ‘straight away’ after the election.

Sell-off required

But the opposition candidate for Ballina, Paul Spooner, has warned the plan is contingent on its controversial plan to sell off the state’s electricity network, which has been stalled in the upper house during this term of government.

He described it as ‘a promise that can’t be delivered’ and ‘just an attempt to blackmail people into supporting his risky plan to sell off the electricity network.’

‘The Baird government has already cut $1.7 billion from the education budget – now he is promising anything he thinks will get him a vote,’ Mr Spooner said.

‘The coalition has so far committed  $20 billion from a sale that even they say is only likely to generate a maximum of $13 billion.’

‘And the sale will rip $1 billion of revenue out of the budget – currently spent on schools and hospitals each and every year.’

He said that the Labor Party by contrast would ‘make modest commitments that it knows it can deliver – funded by the reliable profits delivered by our publicly-owned electricity network.’

Union supports

But the teachers union has welcomed the move, with spokesperson Mark Wheatley saying he ‘absolutely welcomes’ the announcement.

He added that Ballina High teachers and students supported it and he ‘couldn’t imagine’ why staff, students and parents at Southern Cross would resist ‘such a wonderful opportunity’.

Mr Wheatley told ABC that ‘we’ve been given assurances that all stakeholders will be consulted with as we move along’.

‘It obviously shows that public education is being taken seriously as a provider of education in the area,’ he said.

But the principal at Southern Cross, Janine Silcock, said she hadn’t been consulted before the announcement. Staff, she said, were ‘shocked’ at the announcement and added they ‘didn’t realise that those sorts of decisions are made in that manner’.

However she told ABC they ‘acknowledged that money such as that being poured into public education is a great thing.


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

2 COMMENTS

  1. Only on Monday, Tony Abbott declared his new leadership would involve greater consultation… perhaps that’s a Federal virus which will eventually cross the State divide to Michael Baird and then trickle down to his Education Minister.

  2. I’m a student at one of these secondary schools & we are not happy about this decision. First the staff were not consulted about this decision & only found out after the announcement, they also are unhappy. Secondly the government states that this is to help students why were we not told & asked how we feel as the key demographic that will be affected? This will uproot the smooth transition that Southern Cross has from primary to secondary school. If the students are moved to Ballina high what will happen to the recording studio, dark room, gymnasium, technology workroom, cooking rooms & library? Why will these great facilities be wasted? Can the Ballina High school grounds really hold both the student bodies? This matter could be simplified if both school grounds were improved instead of a merge. The government claim this will increase our opportunities but Southern Cross & Ballina High already has a connected learning system so that we get use out of both facilities. This personally just seems like a scheme to ensure votes in the upcoming election.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Mandatory vax

I write to you in response to the article on the front page of The Echo relating to mandatory vax. I find it extremely...

End the cult

A military conflict between China and the USA would very likely result in global nuclear war, a major setback to human civilisation and possibly...

Hundreds queue to have COVID test and two new cases in the NNSWLHD

Northern NSW Local Health District (NNSWLHD) is urging people to continue coming forward for testing and vaccination after two further COVID-19 cases were reported in the 24 hours to 8pm last night, October 14. 

Charges after cars damaged in police pursuit – Coffs Harbour

Police say a man has been charged following a pursuit, where a number of cars – including an unmarked police car – were sideswiped on the Mid-North Coast yesterday.