12 C
Byron Shire
June 21, 2021

Premier promises swifter action on shark deterrents

Latest News

Failure after failure

Keith Duncan, Pimlico One policy failure after another; what does it take for ‘shifty’ Morrison to come clean, show leadership, and...

Other News

It’s World Elder Abuse Awareness Day

Today is World Elder Abuse Awareness Day and Dementia Australia is calling for all Australians to make themselves aware of the different forms elder abuse can take and to be alert to vulnerable Australians, including people who live with dementia. 

Dunoon Dam from a Rocky Creek perspective

R Musgrave, Rocky Creek Here’s a simple question about the proposed new Dunoon Dam and some local observations from a long-time...

Yes! Chupacabra fiesta

S Haslam Chupacabra are coming up to their third birthday, and to celebrate all the ups and downs they are...

Cartoon of the week – 16 June, 2021

We love to receive letters, but not every letter will be published; the publication of letters is at the discretion of the online and print letters editors.

No SourDough$

Hayo van der Woude, Myocum 2021 promises to be the greatest year yet for revelations of unethical behaviour and corruption in...

Vaccinations

Vyvyan Stott, Mullumbumby The government doctors have announced that vaccinations are compulsory for nurses . Yet our constitution states parliament may...

WSL surfer Sam Morgan remains in an induced coma in Gold Coast University Hospital following a shark attack at Ballina's Lighthouse Beach on Tuesday (November 10). Photo Facebook
WSL surfer Sam Morgan remains in an induced coma in Gold Coast University Hospital following a shark attack at Ballina’s Lighthouse Beach on Tuesday (November 10).

Ballina beaches have reopened following Tuesday’s attack on WSL surfer Sam Morgan at Ballina’s Lighthouse Beach.

NSW premier Mike Baird has promised quicker action on shark deterrent technology for the north coast. But he has stopped short of nominating a time-frame.

Mr Morgan remains in an induced coma at Gold Coast University Hospital after surgery following the attack.

Mr Baird has promised more surveillance, while primary industries minister Niall Blair has said nylon eco-barriers would be put into place at Lighthouse Beach ‘this summer’. But neither has so far given a date.

Mr Blair said WA trials of the eco-barrier, a wide net that stretches from the seabed to the waterline, had proven successful in stopping sharks without killing other sea creatures. But he added that it was up to the manufacturer how soon they could be installed.

‘We’ve had the meetings to determine where we are going to put them, the manufacturers then are the ones that have to build them to be site-specific,’ he told ABC.

‘If this was easy we would have had them in the water.’

Earlier, Le-Ba Boardriders president Don Munro told the network the government was ‘going round and round’ on the issue.

And Ballina mayor David Wright joined the call for something to be done ‘immediately’.

Yesterday’s shark attack was the fifth at a Ballina beach this year, including a fatal attack on Japanese surfer Tadashi Nakahara in February.

Nine of the 14 shark attacks in NSW this year have been on the north coast between Evans Head and Tweed Heads.

New app provides warning

The supplier of iPhone app Dorsal Shark Alert System, Allan Bennetto, said his company put out an alert about the presence of a Bull shark in the area on Tuesday afternoon.

‘We actually put out an alert at 1.07pm to all mediums (iPhone app, Facebook page, Twitter and website) about a Bull shark sighting in the river around the corner from where last night’s attack was,’ he told Echonetdaily.

‘Not that it would have necessarily deterred or prevented this attack, but we did have a mother write to someone who reposted our report to say that her son wanted to go to that exact spot in the afternoon, but went elsewhere as a result of the alert,’ he added.

Mr Bennetto said an Android version of the app has been launched today (Tuesday).

‘It will mean we have the fastest and widest shark alert communication system in the country, which while it is only a small part of the puzzle, is at least something before summer while the governments and local councils work out what they are doing about the situation,’ he added.

‘The tools are there, they are free and they are immediate and hopefully with more people on the look out and reporting more sightings we can keep everyone as informed as quickly as humanly possible.’

The iPhone app is currently available in the App Store.

Reports can also be accessed via www.dorsalapp.com.


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

New case of COVID-19 in Brisbane

Queensland has recorded one new case of COVID-19 in the community yesterday, with contact tracing underway after an international cabin crew member tested positive.

Mental health workshop for girls in Lennox

The mental health organisation Beautiful Minds is holding a one day workshop for pre-teen girls in Lennox Head on Sunday 27 June 2021.

Morrison’s craven cave to the QAnon cult – can he squirm out of this one too?

Monday night’s Four Corners program on ABC explained that two Australian lackeys of the American cult called QAnon – Tim Stewart and his son Jesse – are pushing the cult’s terrible excuse for a belief system.

Man missing from Cudgen

Police are appealing for public assistance to locate a man missing from the Far North Coast.