20.2 C
Byron Shire
May 6, 2021

$70 million Mercato Centre works about to start

Latest News

From go to whoa – Norco Primex expo covers it all

Norco and Primex are bringing a three-day sustainable farming and primary industry expo to you.

Other News

Byron Council to introduce car-free Sundays in the centre of town

Byron Council has taken a further step toward getting cars out of, and pedestrians into, the centre of Byron, by voting to introduce car-free Sundays.

Mayor’s parting gift 

Michele Grant, Ocean Shores The Mayor’s parting gift to the Bruns/Bayside Community was ushering through approval for the controversial Corso...

The legal smoke

Paul Rea, Coorabell While Labor stopped taking donations from the tobacco industry in 2004 and the Liberals followed suit a...

Humans suck

Hannah Grace, Ocean Shores I heard on the local news, like, this afternoon (April 20), that 370+ kilos of tuna...

COVID: Brisbane green zone error

Queensland Health has announced that two transiting passengers from a flight from Papua New Guinea are being tested after a potential green zone breach in Brisbane International Airport yesterday.

Why do we destroy what we love?

Nan Nicholson, The Channon I have been an environmental activist for over 50 years (I started when I was a...

An artist's impression of the approach to the new Mercato shopping mall in Byron Bay. Work is slated to start on the development next week.
An artist’s impression of the approach to the new Mercato shopping mall in Byron Bay. Work is slated to start on the development ‘imminently’.

Chris Harris Jones

Work on the Mercato development at Byron’s South Plaza, adjacent to the current Woolworths, is expected to start ‘imminently’, according to Mark Harrison, who is managing director of property for the developer, Wingate.

The $70 million Mercato Centre will be the home for a redeveloped Woolworths, as well as a range of other shops including food outlets.

It is being jointly developed by a consortium that includes Wingate, which will own 75 per cent, while Azzura will own 25 per cent.

Mr Harrison said that the lengthy holdups that have seen the site fenced off for several months have been caused by two issues, as well as obtaining the final development consents from Byron Shire Council.

‘Essential Energy needs to move a high-voltage cable running under the site and we had a requirement to get permission from NSW rail authorities to place anchors in the rail corridor to stabilise the walls for the underground carpark while excavation is in progress,’ he said.

A Council spokesperson said that the development consent for the underground work had been granted, but the consent for the remainder of the work was still pending.

Traffic plan

Mr Harrison said, ‘Before we can start work, we also need to have a traffic management plan in place.’

Construction work will be undertaken by Hutchinsons, one of QLD’s largest builders, and the initial development will involve digging out the basement over a period of five to eight weeks.

‘Trucks will access Jonson Street as early in the morning and as late at night as possible in order to avoid additional traffic congestion,’ Mr Harrison said. Mr Harrison indicated that it was possible that a new roundabout would be constructed on Jonson Street for the work, but that there would be no access to the site from Butler Street either in the short or long term.

‘Byron Council has other plans for that road’, he said.

At this stage there are no long-term plans for the existing Woolworths site or building, according to Mr Harrison, and those plans would depend on what expressions of interest were received.

The North Plaza shops are separately owned.

No fast food

Mr Harrison said that rumours the new development would contain fast-food outlets such as McDonald’s or Kentucky Fried Chicken were not true.

‘We want the development to be in keeping with Byron Bay and we are seeking tenants that are from the local area, which may include southern QLD’, he said.

The retail centre will have a Five Star green rating and 80 per cent of material from the demolition will be re-used.

It will include the expanded Palace Cinemas with nine screens.


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Greater Sydney goes into COVID related lockdown

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has just announced that greater Sydney area will go into lockdown until next Monday.

Board defends its management of Mullum Rural Co-op

The issue of potential fraud and financial mismanagement was a key part of the response from Mullumbimby Rural Co-op board, and Chair Ross Tucker,...

An operetta and children’s theatre for NORPA

NOPRA has announced recipients of the theatre company’s two artist residencies.

Dam doesn’t give a damn about koalas

The proposed Dunoon Dam is still a possibility, though it has been voted against twice by the members of Rous County Council. Now information has emerged which presents another reason to shut down the threat of the dam once and for all.