A Lismore father will stand trial in the Supreme Court after pleading not guilty to the brutal stabbing murder of his son last November.
Christopher John Gibson was arraigned in the Supreme Court in Sydney earlier this months and pleaded not guilty to the murder of his son Shawn on the night of November 18.
The court previously heard emergency services were called to Barrow Lane, North Lismore, about 10.45 pm following reports of a stabbing.
When they arrived, police and paramedics found 29 year-old Shawn laying on the ground deceased, suffering multiple stab wounds to his chest, shoulder and neck.
Mr Gibson snr was arrested at the scene and after questioning he was charged the following morning.
At a Lismore Local Court appearance in July, Mr Gibson’s solicitor Jim Fuggle told the court his client had asserted he was acting in self defence during a fight between the pair.
To help prove Mr Gibson snr’s claim, Mr Fuggle said he would be calling two of the victim’s brothers to give evidence.
‘The accused has raised self defence in answer to the charge and has participated in an ERISP (electronic interview) with police shortly after the charged incident wherein he asserts fears of the deceased based on prior physical assaults on him by the deceased including one witnessed by (the brothers),’ Mr Fuggle’s submission said.
In a committal hearing at Lismore Local Court in September, the court heard Shawn suffered multiple stab wounds, with one penetrating the lining of his chest and severing a critical artery.
Another stab wound to the victim’s upper shoulder penetrated 23 mm, the court heard.
The court heard the relationship between the men was tense and the victim’s friends had seen previous fights between the pair.
When he was arraigned in the Supreme Court in Sydney he pleaded not guilty.
His trial, which is estimated to take four weeks, was set down to commence on July 16, 2018, before the Supreme Court in Lismore.