Only one of 56 animals caught in shark nets along the north coast was a target shark species, according to new data.
Humane Society International marine scientist Jessica Morris said the data proved the nets do not work and continue to kill harmless and threatened marine life.
‘Figures from January and February show out of 56 caught animals 15 were killed, including dolphins, rays, and hammerhead sharks – which are harmless to humans. Only one of the animals captured was a target shark species,’ Ms Morris said.
Last season’s shark net trial on the North Coast caught 9 target sharks making up only 3 per cent of the total catch, with the remaining 97 per cent comprising harmless marine animals, including a critically endangered grey nurse shark, four dolphins and 11 threatened marine turtles.
The NSW North Coast net exemption allows shark net trials to continue until 31 October 2019, despite the shocking marine animal death statistics and negative community feedback after the first trial concluded last year.
‘How many more months of damning data will it take for government to finally realise this experiment is an utter failure, and shut it down?’
‘Non-lethal alternatives to nets are available and we cannot afford to keep killing harmless and protected species for the next 18 months or more.’.