Menu

Nats, ALP trade barbs over Tweed Hospital

Artist’s impression of the new Tweed Hospital on the Kingscliff site.

The political war of words over the building of the new Tweed hospital has ratcheted up further, with the Nationals accusing Labor of ‘delaying tactics’ and Labor saying the government is ‘lying’ about the planned completion date.

Yesterday Tweed MP Geoff Provest said the new $534 million Hospital was ‘at risk of major delays due to a push by the NSW Labor Party to have the project brought to a standstill’.

He said ‘despite extensive community consultation and expert planning, NSW Labor is still insisting the project be delayed and used for election campaign material’.

‘Our community cannot risk delays to this project,’ Mr Provest said.

‘Lives depend on this. The health of our community depends on this.

‘Together we fought for a new hospital, now together we will build a new hospital.

‘There are people in our community crying out for life-saving treatment that doesn’t require them to travel to another state, yet the NSW Labor party think it’s okay to play politics – it is disgraceful,’ he said.’

High rise precedent: ALP

Just hours later, shadow health minister Walt Secord claimed he had found ‘a major discrepancy on the completion and construction dates for Tweed Hospital’ accusing the Nationals of ‘blatantly lying so they can rush through new height limits at Kingscliff’.

Mr Secord accused the Nationals of lying on the actual timeline, saying ‘official Treasury budget papers from June 19 state that the hospital is scheduled to be completed by 2025, but health minister Brad Hazzard and Tweed Nationals MP Geoff Provest told the community on April 4 that it would be completed by 2022’.

Mr Secord claimed the Nationals were ‘misleading the community on construction dates to rush ahead and to use this hospital as a vehicle to impose high-rise across the coastal villages of Tweed’.

He added the Nationals ‘know that construction on the Kingscliff site cannot begin until next year’.

‘Labor’s choice of a hospital being built at Kings Forest would actually be completed before any building at Kingscliff by the Nationals as the approvals are already in place,’ Mr Secord said.

He added ‘it took the Coalition eight years to build a simple police station so why would anyone believe they could build a high-rise hospital in record time?’

‘On April 4, the Nationals said construction could begin next year after the March 2019 state election, but earlier this week, they said they wanted it to occur by the end of the year.

‘This is impossible. It is very clear, the Nationals are doing everything in their power to get the approvals before the state election so they can lock in the community and do a favour for their mates.’

‘The Nationals should just listen to the community and tell their developer mates to keep their hands off Kingscliff,’ Mr Secord said

More support for Kingscliff site: Nats

But Mr Provest said that during a community engagement process involving some 600 people, ‘around 50 per cent’ supported the Kingscliff site, a further 25 per cent were neutral and the remaining 25 per cent were opposed.

Mr Provest said Labor’s plan ‘has always been to oppose the Kingscliff site regardless of the result of community consultation and independent expert advice’.

‘Let’s be clear on what is happening here: NSW Labor has announced they will build the hospital on a different site, contradicting the results of community feedback, and expert advice – which begs the question, why?’

‘I refuse to stand by and see this project hijacked for political purposes. The time for talk is done, let’s get on with it and build the hospital our community needs and deserves.

‘If the Labor party think they can push this project back in the hope of redirecting the funding to projects that suit their political agenda in the major cities, then they are in for a rude shock,’ Mr Provest said.

 


4 responses to “Nats, ALP trade barbs over Tweed Hospital”

  1. Nathan Jones says:

    I am no expert on kingscliff height limits – is it 3 stories or 10 metres?

    Mr Walt Secord – exactly what are the new height limits being proposed? Where did you get this information? Who is proposing it and in which level of government – state or council? where is the submission?

    Are you just making up a new scare campaign that is not based on actual truth? – probably.. As I doubt you can answer any of the above questions.

    This debate is only about the best location of the hospital. There is no change in height limits being proposed. There is a clear choice between a flood free Cudgen rd site and the rest – look at the detailed report coming out this week – i hope you actually read the findings and reasons.

    • Simon Haslam says:

      Tweed Shire Council’s Building Height Workshop: Shoptop housing along Marine Parade integrates an active
      ground floor use and residential units at the upper level with decks overlooking the street within a 12-13m (3 storey)
      building height.

  2. Heidi Mason says:

    How can he keep claiming 50%-25%-25%?…he can only be basing this on the opinions of people who are actively informed on what is going on…. so many of the elderly who need this hospital are none the wiser and they will be terribly disadvantaged by having to travel out of Tweed to seek medical care.
    If this issue were put to the vote with all of the shire properly informed and offered an opinion I guarantee those percentages would be very different….I bet he knows this too, you can see it in the desperation to push on with development before the election.

  3. Steven Julius says:

    The consultation required a basic “keep it there” for those in support and an essay against. Completely biased. A recent Kingscliff Happenings pole was a landslide against the farm location – as the election will be a landslide against Jeff Provest.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

Become a supporter of The Echo

A note from the editorial team

Some of The Echo’s editorial team: journalists Paul Bibby and Aslan Shand, editor Hans Lovejoy, photographer Jeff Dawson and Mandy Nolan

The Echo has never underestimated the intelligence and passion of its readers. In a world of corporate banality and predictability, The Echo has worked hard for more than 30 years to help keep Byron and the north coast unique with quality local journalism and creative ideas. We think this area needs more voices, reasoned analysis and ideas than just those provided by News Corp, lifestyle mags, Facebook groups and corporate newsletters.

The Echo is one hundred per cent locally owned and one hundred per cent independent. As you have probably gathered from what is happening in the media industry, it is not cheap to produce a weekly newspaper and a daily online news service of any quality.

We have always relied entirely on advertising to fund our operations, but often loyal readers who value our local, independent journalism have asked how they could help ensure our survival.

Any support you can provide to The Echo will make an enormous difference. You can make a one-off contribution or a monthly one. With your help, we can continue to support a better informed local community and a healthier democracy for another 30 years.”

Echonetdaily is made possible by the support of all of our advertisers and is brought to you by this week's sponsor Vast Ballina and Falls Festival