16 C
Byron Shire
October 18, 2021

NRL moves on dangerous tackles

Latest News

Privately owned, but still ‘sacred site’ – Nimbin church burns to the ground

Last night at around 9pm, St Patrick's Catholic Church in Nimbin burned to the ground.

Other News

Creative definition of affordable housing before Byron Council 

A development application is (again) coming before this week’s planning meeting, which attempts to use ‘farm stay’ accommodation to provide affordable housing for students enrolled in agriculture-related courses.

Mediterranean artisanal food

S Haslam There’s something very romantic and appealing about Provence, about French and Spanish food, about eating the sort of...

French hypocrisy

The French are understandably upset about being stabbed in the back by Australia’s sinking of the submarine contract. They...

Police call for busking ban, backed by Byron mayor

Have you noticed that the streets of Byron Bay have been a less tuneful and colourful place in the past week or so?

Future vision

History is a curious thing. We often look back on history as a series of events. Looking closer it...

Things we love

‘Let’s get back to the things we love’ is the new NSW pandemic slogan. A query: If love is...

The NRL has directed the Match Review Committee to take a hard line against players lifting opponents into a ‘dangerous position’ where they could injure their head or neck.

This follows an extensive review of performance data and tackle analytics over the first six rounds of the season.

NRL head of football, Mr Todd Greenberg, said that, from this weekend, any player involved in a dangerous lifting tackle on an opponent could expect to be charged – unless they pulled out of it quickly.

A dangerous position is where the head or neck of the tackled player dips below the horizontal level of the hips – and it is not immediately corrected

Mr Greenberg said charges had not been laid in some cases this year because the tackled player was able to move into a position where he was unlikely to land on his head or neck first.

But he said, from this weekend, players will be charged if they lift an opponent into any position where they could land on their head or neck.

‘If you lift a player and put him in a dangerous position you will be charged unless you pull out quickly and return the player to a safe position,’ said Mr Greenberg.

‘The only discretion the Match Review Committee will have is the grading of the charge.

‘It is important to stress that the rules have not changed… rather the way in which they are to be applied has been re-emphasised with the Match Review Committee.’

Mr Greenberg yesterday said that the NRL was not satisfied with the action taken in regard to some lifting tackles in the first six rounds of the premiership.

He said players should not escape penalty just because an opponent was lucky enough to move his body into a position where his head or neck was not going to hit the ground first.

‘We have been disappointed that some players have escaped charges for tackles we believe were dangerous,’ said Mr Greenberg, ‘so we are lowering the threshold for a dangerous tackle charge – and it starts this weekend.’

Mr Greenberg said the edict followed an extensive review of tackles so far this season.

It found that there had been a significant decrease in three-man tackles – from 36 per cent to 30 per cent – since the new rules were introduced at the start of the season.

‘We believe it is not the three-man tackle that is of concern but the dangerous lifting tackle where a player goes beyond the horizontal.

‘So that’s where the focus will be for the Match Review Committee.

‘We’ve given the committee a clear definition of what we believe is dangerous and we want them to police it ruthlessly.’

 


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

XR plans two weeks of ‘Reclaim our Future’ protests

Extinction Rebellion Lismore is part of the Northern Rivers push to highlight the issue of climate change and a march and candlelit vigil last night was the start to a fortnight of ‘Reclaim Our Future’ protests.

Phone scam – Just.Hang.Up.

Crime Stoppers says that almost 90 per cent of Australians have received at least one nuisance or unwanted call every week

Anti-DV umbrellas launched in Ballina

Rotary have partnered with NSW Police to design and distribute 150 umbrellas with a very clear message: 'Say NO to domestic violence'.

Truth

The truth doesn’t mind being questioned. A lie does. Margot Hays, Bangalow