22 C
Byron Shire
December 1, 2021

A matter of opinion

Latest News

A disappointed dog

It’s taken a whole week for my dog to read to page 21 in last week’s Echo. She’s been...

Other News

Editorial – More Byron Shire council candidate Q&A!

Where do candidates stand on disused railways and pay parking? Are they to the left of Chairman Mao Zedong, or the right of Genghis Khan?

Which values are important?

Public opinion sure is divided about the Dunoon Dam (the DuD). Clearly it does not have sufficient social licence...

New Russian satellite-killer produces decades of fallout

‘Irresponsible’ Russian anti-satellite weapon sends shockwaves through space community with 1500 fresh fragments cannoning about in low-Earth orbit.

Vote for community

From 2007 to 2020, I lived in Byron Bay. I worked as a community-based coastal and marine researcher and...

Byron candidates 2021 Q&A part 2

Buckle in, seats upright, and loosen the belt!  It’s time to see what candidates have to say – in full...

From ‘struggle street’ to Ballina’s only woman running for mayor: Cr Cadwallader’s Echo Q&A

Independent Ballina Shire Councillor Sharon Cadwallader is the only woman in the shire running for mayor and arguably one of the most competitive candidates.

Byron Greens Councillors

Readers may not be aware of the initiatives we outlined in response to Ian Cohen (page 16), as our beloved paper is now the instrument of the Editor’s personal hatred of us Greens councillors. Hans recently abused us on The Echo’s Facebook page, describing Michael as ‘a true authoritarian tyrant twat’ and ‘a shit stain’, Sarah as ‘a third card in a terrible useless pack of jokers,’ and Simon as amongst other tags, ‘Mayor of Party Town’ (whatever that means). He went on to describe us as, ‘Totally inept, arrogant, and lacking in reflection,’ who are in the job, ‘to climb a greasy political pole.’ Perhaps more natural within a university-student newspaper, or the Daily Telegraph, but it’s tragic for the paper we all love.

Hans is free to have his personal opinions and threrefore to disparage us in his editorial or anonymously on the back page; however, opinion and objective journalistic coverage of council should be separated.

A paper (and in this case, an editor) that can only represent one view, that struggles or makes no attempt to be fair, accurate, and independent can’t possibly ever serve a complex, changing, multilayered and dynamic community like ours.

Echo readers deserve to be kept properly informed of Council issues and initiatives that affect them.

♦ The editor would like to note that he does not ‘hate’ the Greens.

Previous articleDune loss at Clarkes Beach
Next articleWhy so cranky?

Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

1 COMMENT