26.6 C
Byron Shire
April 21, 2021

A matter of opinion

Latest News

Local youth among those hardest hit by housing affordability crisis

A 20 per cent spike in rents is driving an increase in youth homelessness across the North Coast, the organisers of a national campaign to end homelessness say.

Other News

Yamba restaurants

I’m often asked about Yamba, one of our favourite holiday spots over the last 20 years. With a great range of beaches, walks, tennis courts, skate parks and accommodation etc it’s been great for the kids growing up, and they still love it. Plus, it’s now only 90 minutes’ drive from Mullumbimby.

Cartoon of the week – 21 April, 2021

We love to receive letters, but not every letter will be published; the publication of letters is at the discretion of the online and print letters editors.

Beach Hotel gets a $6m makeover

Owners of the Beach Hotel, Moelis, say they undertook extensive repairs and updates to the tune of around $6m after COVID-19 forced closure and limited trading last year.

Hanging points

Jo Faith, Newtown Many thanks to The Echo for printing ex-magistrate David Heilpern’s remarkable article articulating the ongoing tragic situation surrounding...

Bruns boarding house showdown Thursday

The stage is set for a crucial debate over the Brunswick Heads ‘Corso’ development in Byron Council this week, with staff recommending that the developer’s revised plans be approved.

Arakwal chemicals

David Gilet, Byron Bay I have long been dismayed by the use of Glyphosate by Parks & Wildlife in Arakwal National...

Byron Greens Councillors

Readers may not be aware of the initiatives we outlined in response to Ian Cohen (page 16), as our beloved paper is now the instrument of the Editor’s personal hatred of us Greens councillors. Hans recently abused us on The Echo’s Facebook page, describing Michael as ‘a true authoritarian tyrant twat’ and ‘a shit stain’, Sarah as ‘a third card in a terrible useless pack of jokers,’ and Simon as amongst other tags, ‘Mayor of Party Town’ (whatever that means). He went on to describe us as, ‘Totally inept, arrogant, and lacking in reflection,’ who are in the job, ‘to climb a greasy political pole.’ Perhaps more natural within a university-student newspaper, or the Daily Telegraph, but it’s tragic for the paper we all love.

Hans is free to have his personal opinions and threrefore to disparage us in his editorial or anonymously on the back page; however, opinion and objective journalistic coverage of council should be separated.

A paper (and in this case, an editor) that can only represent one view, that struggles or makes no attempt to be fair, accurate, and independent can’t possibly ever serve a complex, changing, multilayered and dynamic community like ours.

Echo readers deserve to be kept properly informed of Council issues and initiatives that affect them.

♦ The editor would like to note that he does not ‘hate’ the Greens.

Previous articleDune loss at Clarkes Beach
Next articleWhy so cranky?

Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

1 COMMENT