The areas of Lismore CBD, Lismore Basin and low lying areas of East Lismore and Girards Hill have received an evacuation order following the continuing rain.
NSW SES is directing people within these areas to evacuate the high danger area via New Ballina Road, Bruxner Highway and Dalley Street.
Flash flooding in the CBD as a result of heavy rainfall has inundated roads. Residents should evacuate now, prior to the closure of further roads. If water continues to rise, it may be too unsafe to leave.
The areas affected are:
- Dawson Street
- Parkes Street
- Hayward Street
- Allen Street
- James Street
- Anstey Street
- Cathcart Street
- Esyth Street
- Goshmer Street
- Elton Street
- Esmonde Street
- Darsham Street
- Keen Street
- Hutley Place
- Gerard Street
- Barrie Street
- Shannon Street
Why the SES are directing people to evacuate?
Once flood water begins inundating the area road access water, sewerage, power, phones and internet may be lost.
Where to go if evacuation as required: Wherever possible, people should go and stay with family or friends, or make other accommodation arrangements. If you are unable to, an evacuation centre has been set up at the following.
- Southern Cross University, Military Road, Lismore
What the SES are expecting:
Once floodwater begins inundating the area, road access may be cut. If you remain in the area after this time, you may become trapped and it may be too dangerous for NSW SES to rescue you.
What you need to do:
Low lying properties should:
- Lift possessions and important items above the predicted flood height
- Take pets, essential items, warm clothes, medicines, insurance documents and valuables with you.
- Leave as early as possible to avoid restricted roads.
- Share this information with family, friends and neighbours and help others where possible.
- For evacuation assistance, please call NSW SES on 132 500 or if life-threatening Triple 000.
For more information on:
- For the latest information listen to your local ABC radio station,
- Follow us on Facebook at /NSWSES or our website at www.ses.nsw.gov.au
- Latest Weather, Warnings, Rainfall and River heights: www.bom.gov.au/nsw/
- Road Closures: www.livetraffic.com.au or http://www.myroadinfo.com.au
- Lismore City Council https://disaster.lismore.nsw.gov.au
For emergency help in floods and storms, call the NSW State Emergency Service on 132 500. In life threatening situations call triple zero (000) immediately.