Owing to the ongoing La Nina weather pattern, Lismore Council has not been able to top up D.E. Williams Dam as the water coming from the weir is high in turbidity and would significantly compromise water quality.
To ensure the supply of water to Nimbin is not compromised, Council has placed the village on Level 3 water restrictions effective immediately and will remain in place until further notice.
Council will also begin trucking in water.
Please note, the existing Boil Water Notice remains in place as we truck water to Nimbin.
With turbidity issues expected to continue through Spring and Summer due to La Nina, Council is collaborating with NSW Health and DPIE to develop a solution until the water treatment plant is built.
The following Level 3 Water Restrictions apply to residential and non-residential premises:
• Residents and businesses are asked to conserve water wherever possible.
- Watering cans & buckets are permitted at any time.
- Hand-held hoses are permitted for up to 10 minutes every second day, before 9am or after 4pm (odds & evens).
- Other irrigation systems banned.
- Watering of new turf permitted for up to 30 minutes on day laid, then 15 minutes every second day, before 9am or after 4pm (odd & evens).
Pools and recreation:
- Topping up of pools/spas permitted ONLY if done to prevent structural damage. Must be done before 9am or after 4pm with a hand-held hose with an on/off nozzle. Emptying and refilling banned.
- Filling of new pools/spas permitted ONLY if done to prevent structural damage AND if Council has given approval.
- Recreation usage of water (e.g., play pools, water toys, slides, etc.) banned.
- Provision of drinking water permitted.
- Wash pets with bucket before 9am or after 4pm. Use of hose banned.
- Operation/top up of fountains/ponds/water features/etc. permitted only to maintain fish life.
- Installation and filling of new fountains/ponds/etc. banned.
- Washing of driveways, rooves, walls, windows, etc. permitted ONLY if done for health and safety reasons by a registered cleaning business.
- Car washing permitted IF done with an efficient high-pressure, low-flow rate cleaner with trigger control for less than 5 minutes either before 9am or after 4pm (subject to odds & evens).
- Washing of boats, boat motors and trailers used in salt water permitted for 5 minutes at a time.
For further information, go to www.yoursay.lismore.nsw.gov.au