Multiple areas of Lismore have now been put on notice to prepare to evacuate. These areas are currently North Lismore particularly Lower North Lismore and South Lismore.
‘The NSW SES advises people in the following area(s) to PREPARE TO EVACUATE by 9am Monday 24 October due to predicted rising floodwaters causing major flooding.’
Prepare to evacuate these areas:
- All areas north of Leycester Creek and the Wilsons River
- Streets located south of Leycester Creek and north of Hollingsworth Street including;
- Meadow Drive and surrounds
- Streets between Wilson Street and Ostrom Street
- Streets between Casino Street and Newbridge Street
- Union Street, Ballina Road, Folyes Road, Taylors Street, Norco Lane, Franks Street
- Winterton Parade between Pitt Lane and the Wilsons River
- Pitt Lane
What are we expecting?
The Bureau of Meteorology advises Major flooding is possible along the Wilsons River atLismore.
The Wilsons River at Lismore (AHD) is expected to exceed the minor flood level (4.20m) overnight Sunday into Monday.
The river level is likely to exceed the moderate flood level (7.20 m) Monday morning and may reach the major flood level (9.70 m) Monday afternoon or evening.
Further rises are possible with forecast rain.
Based on predictions from the Bureau of Meteorology, the following areas may be impacted by dangerous floodwaters:
- Low lying areas
- Culverts and causeways
This event may change quickly. We will monitor the situation and update our warnings if the situation changes.
For more information:
Listen to your local ABC radio station which can be found at reception.abc.net.au. ABC Northern Rivers
Follow us on social media @NSWSES or visit our website at www.ses.nsw.gov.au
Learn about your risk at www.ses.nsw.gov.au/your-risk/
Check latest weather, warnings, rainfall and river heights at bom.gov.au/nsw/
Check road closures at livetraffic.com.au or 132 701 or your local Council.
For emergency help in floods and storms, call the NSW State Emergency Service on 132 500.
In life threatening situations, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.