17.6 C
Byron Shire
April 23, 2024

Electric skateboard fire lights house

Latest News

Mullumbimby railway station burns down

At around midnight last night, a fire started which engulfed the old Mullumbimby railway station. It's been twenty years since the last train came through, but the building has been an important community hub, providing office space for a number of organisations, including COREM, Mullum Music Festival and Social Futures.

Other News

A quiet day in Bruns after arrests and lock-ons

Though no machinery arrived at Wallum this morning, contractors and police were on the development site at Brunswick Heads as well as dozens of Save Wallum protesters. 

Northern Rivers Recovery and Resilience Program announces 36 projects

Bridge expansions, upgraded pumps, enhanced evacuation routes and nature-based projects are just a few of the 36 projects being...

Anti-Israel bias

Many locals have approached me to say how shocked they are at the extreme anti-Israel bias that is expressed...

Mullumbimby railway station burns down

At around midnight last night, a fire started which engulfed the old Mullumbimby railway station. It's been twenty years since the last train came through, but the building has been an important community hub, providing office space for a number of organisations, including COREM, Mullum Music Festival and Social Futures.

Funds sought to complete clubhouse

Byron Bay Football Club may finally get the funds to complete its new clubhouse, with Byron councillors to consider loaning the club $200,000 at this week’s meeting.

Reclaiming childhood in the ‘device age’

A century and a half ago, the visionary Henry David Thoreau declared people had become ‘the tool of their tools.’  In this device-driven age of smartphones, social media, and artificial intelligence, few observations could be seen as more prescient. 

Fire and Rescue NSW says a 12-year-old girl has suffered a serious case of smoke inhalation during a lithium-ion battery fire at Yamba, south of Ballina.

The child was woken around midnight by the crackling sound of an electric skateboard on fire as it charged in her bedroom within her family’s Cameron Street home.

The girl and four members of her family safely made it out of the home as Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews from Yamba, Maclean and Grafton arrived at the scene.

She was taken to hospital for further treatment.

Whilst extinguishing the fire, FRNSW crews discovered the home’s smoke alarm was inoperative and missing a battery.

FRNSW urges the public to ensure their home’s smoke alarms are maintained and in working order.

The electric skateboard was purchased as a Christmas gift last year.

Firefighters are warning Christmas shoppers to use caution this year when purchasing Lithium-ion-powered devices including micro-mobility vehicles, such as e-bikes, e-scooters and e-skateboards.

The warning for these types of items are:

• Don’t overcharge Lithium-ion batteries or allow them to overheat
• Always use compliant and approved charging stations/equipment
• Avoid dropping, crushing, piercing or vibrating the power cells
• Carefully and lawfully dispose of any battery that short-circuits, malfunctions and/or suffers a system fault/s
• Be aware of defects or contamination introduced during manufacture.


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

3 COMMENTS

  1. Yes Hermit agreed – similar scenario with any of ‘eco-friendly’ electric cars with x500% more batteries in them.
    We have created a fire-monster – [but as usual always done with the best intentions and brain-washing by the media.]
    The ‘crunch’ will come when these type of batteries have to be replaced after 10-12 yrs – but then found to be too expensive and so scrapped.
    ‘Quo vardis’ their recycling…?

    • Rob L, the same battery tech used in your mobile phone, laptop, tablet, power tools etc, that you got lying around at home.
      When ICE autos burst into flame, we not hearing your railing against those “fire-monster”.
      As always, we feeling your ‘selective pain’.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Flood insurance inquiry’s North Coast hearings 

A public hearing into insurers’ responses to the 2022 flood was held in Lismore last Thursday, with one local insurance brokerage business owner describing the compact that exists between insurers and society as ‘broken’. 

Getting ready for the 24/25 bush fire season

This year’s official NSW Bush Fire Danger Period closed on March 21. Essential Energy says its thoughts are now turned toward to the 2024-25 season, and it has begun surveying its powerlines in and around the North Coast region.

Keeping watch on Tyalgum Road

Residents keen to stay up to date on the status of the temporary track at Tyalgum Road – particularly during significant rain events – are urged to sign up to a new SMS alert system launched by Tweed Shire Council.

Blaming Queensland again

I was astounded to read Mandy Nolan’s article ‘Why The Nude Beach Is A Wicked Problem’, in which she implied that it may largely...