15.4 C
Byron Shire
May 24, 2022

Lismore defers quarry blasting decision amid koala concerns

Latest News

Computers donated to home schooled kids in Lismore

There nothing like the support of the CWA ladies to help get you through a disaster and the Lismore CWA Evening Branch were very pleased to be able to help their community once again to supply computers to some flood-affected Lismore kids.

Other News

Pension protector?

Powerful Protector of the Pension? Well, not exactly… ABC Fact Check has looked closely at claims made by local MP,...

Sculpture distilled at Husk

The inaugural outdoor exhibition, Sculpture Distilled, opens this week at Husk Farm Distillery and promises the opportunity to get...

Coalition policy

It should be obvious to everyone by now that the Coalition’s insistence that ‘technology’ will drag us across the...

Our sitting member

The sitting member for Richmond, Labor’s Justine Elliott, is aptly named because, as far as I have seen, that’s...

Elliot ecstatic about Albo and confident of a Richmond win

While her win in Richmond has not yet been confirmed, Justine Elliot is very happy about the overall result for Labor and a new government.

False altar of ‘globalism’

Since moving to Australia in 2007 I have watched nothing but its sacrifice on the false altar of ‘globalism’....

One of the koalas spotted at a quarry at Ruthven during an inspection this week.
One of the koalas spotted at a quarry at Ruthven during an inspection this week.

Darren Coyne

The Lismore City Council last night deferred making a decision on whether blasting could go ahead at a quarry heavily populated by koalas.

Councillors were set to make a decision at last night’s meeting, with staff recommending that the application be refused.

Operators of McDonalds Quarry at Flood Reserve Road, Ruthven, had lodged an application to vary the quarry’s consent conditions to allow up to five blasts each year.

The quarry was first approved in the early 1990s for the production of 6000 cubic metres per annum.

That rate was increased to 14,700 cubic metres in 1996, given the quarry an expected life of 73 years.

But the applicants have told the council they encountered hard rock at much shallower levels than expected, and that blasting would help break up that rock for processing.

They want approval to carry out up to five blasts a year, but council staff recommended against issuing the approval because the applicants had been unable to provide information on the potential impacts of koalas.

But last minute information lodged by the applicants prompted councillors last night to support a motion from Cr Mathew Schebel to defer the decision until a workshop was held to consider the new material.

The council’s development and compliance manager Peter Jeuken emailed councillors just prior to the meeting saying the applicants had advised that a revised “Assessment of Impacts of Quarry Blasting on Koalas” had been prepared by JWA Pty Ltd dated 13 July 2015.

Mr Jeuken said that while the applicants were still to provide information on a number of areas of concern, the revised report formed ‘a clear conclusion that the proposal will not result in any significant impacts upon koalas’ if recommendations were followed.

An added recommendation would be: ‘Post blast koala monitoring should be reported in an annual report to council and OEH (Office of Environment and Heritage) after the first 12 months of blasting.

‘Data collected during the monitoring survey should include age class, reproductive status, health status, tree species sighted in, and location by GPS. ‘There should be an interpretation of results and a report should be completed by a suitably qualified and experienced ecologist.’

Mr Jeuken said it was unlikely further studies would provide any evidence not before councillors, and he said ‘A decision to defer the application and request further information is unlikely to be of any material benefit given discussions with the applicant’.

Nevertheless, after protracted debate, councillors did vote to defer their decision so that the information provided in the enhanced report from JWA Pty Ltd could be considered.

The workshop is expected to be held ‘as soon as possible’, and a report will go back to the council before any further decisions are made.

 


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

1 COMMENT

  1. Council staff seem to be on the ball enough to recommend refusal.
    The GWA report saying ‘no significant impact’ is typical. Where is the precautionary approach to protect these threatened species? To go ahead and blast then monitor the impacts is too late for the koalas impacted. Why do always koalas come last when it comes to profits for humans?

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

COVID-19 update for the NNSWLHD – May 23

The Northern NSW Local Health District reports that to 4pm yesterday, Sunday May 22, there were 40 COVID-19 positive patients in hospital in Northern NSW, with one of these in ICU.

Elliot ecstatic about Albo and confident of a Richmond win

While her win in Richmond has not yet been confirmed, Justine Elliot is very happy about the overall result for Labor and a new government.

Australian politics transformed

Following an election like no other, Australia looks set to change course on climate and corruption, with the Coalition's Scott Morrison being prised from office and Anthony Albanese about to form a new Labor government with the support of Greens and teal independents.

Kevin Hogan returns for Page

Though the coalition government he represents is now in opposition, National Party candidate for Page, Kevin Hogan, has been returned to his seat and yesterday he released a statement to all media.