A police operation across NSW which began at midnight will target mobile phone use, fatigue, speeding, drug and drink driving and seat-belt offences.
Highway patrols will be out in force for the latest Operation Saturation, with the current one aimed at tackling the recent spike in the state’s road toll.
Tweed MP Geoff Provest is urging the community to play its part to prevent more fatalities on NSW roads.
‘With 229 people killed on our roads so far this year, which is 25 more than the same
time last year, the NSW Government and the NSW Police Force are pleading with road users to be more cautious,’ Mr Provest said.
‘Too many lives have been lost because of dangerous behaviour such as speeding,
drinking driving, not wearing seat belts and talking on mobile phones,’ he said.
‘We are seeing both drivers and pedestrians being killed across NSW in accidents that could easily be avoided.
‘Operation Saturation is designed to make road users sit up and take not of their
behaviour and be more cautious on the road.
‘The current statistics are concerning and are showing an upward trend. An average of 15 lives have been lost every fortnight on our roads since the end of April.
‘I am pleading with my local community to slow down, obey the road rules and look out for others.’
He said the operation is fully funded by the Community Road Safety Fund ‘which
redirects speed camera fines back into the community to make our roads safer’
NSW Police deputy commissioner Catherine Burn said the operation, which runs until September 28, would tackle the most at-risk locations and road users.