Pair charged with ice supply after car breaks down during police chase

Two people will face court over alleged drug supply offences in the Tweed yesterday (Sunday, October 29).

About 2:10am police attempted to stop a silver Subaru Impreza travelling south along Ducat Street, Tweed Heads.

When the driver, a 31-year-old male, continued sped up and headed onto the M1 Pacific Highway.

Police activated lights and sirens in an attempt to pull the vehicle over however the driver refused to stop and continued driving at a low speed.

Police say they were forced to run up alongside the vehicle and smash the driver’s window forcing the driver out of the vehicle.

As the driver exited the vehicle he threw a black bag over a fence into the airport.

Police attempted to arrest the driver however he resisted by pulling away violently. Police had to wrestle the accused and spray capsicum spray his face before he was able to be handcuffed.

The 18-year-old female passenger attempted to run away however she was also arrested.

Enquiries by Police revealed the vehicle had a fake number plate made of plastic, covering an actual number plate. Neither of these plates were registered to the Impreza.

Police seized a knuckle duster grip knife with a 25cm blade, a third set of registration plates and a gold chain.

They also found $700 in hundred dollar notes on the man.

Police located the black bag he had into the airport. Inside was a glass pipe wrapped in plastic with burn marks on it, a straw with a scoop at the end, several empty plastic bags, a set of scales, and another plastic bag containing the same white powder found in the bags belonging to the co-accused.

This plastic bag weighed 3.5grams and police allege it contains Methamphetamine.

Police were of the view the male was under the influence of an illicit substance given his actions. His eyes were watery and bloodshot. He was incredibly unsteady on his feet and he slurred his words.

He was taken to Tweed Heads Hospital to have blood and urine samples taken.

The man was charged with supplying a prohibited drug, possessing a prohibited drug, resisting arrest, custody of knife in a public place and goods in custody.

The woman was charged with possessing a prohibited drug and goods in custody.

Both were refused bail to appear at Tweed Heads Local Court today (Monday October 30).



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Become a supporter of The Echo

A note from the editorial team

Some of The Echo’s editorial team: journalists Paul Bibby and Aslan Shand, editor Hans Lovejoy, photographer Jeff Dawson and Mandy Nolan

The Echo has never underestimated the intelligence and passion of its readers. In a world of corporate banality and predictability, The Echo has worked hard for more than 30 years to help keep Byron and the north coast unique with quality local journalism and creative ideas. We think this area needs more voices, reasoned analysis and ideas than just those provided by News Corp, lifestyle mags, Facebook groups and corporate newsletters.

The Echo is one hundred per cent locally owned and one hundred per cent independent. As you have probably gathered from what is happening in the media industry, it is not cheap to produce a weekly newspaper and a daily online news service of any quality.

We have always relied entirely on advertising to fund our operations, but often loyal readers who value our local, independent journalism have asked how they could help ensure our survival.

Any support you can provide to The Echo will make an enormous difference. You can make a one-off contribution or a monthly one. With your help, we can continue to support a better informed local community and a healthier democracy for another 30 years.”

Echonetdaily is made possible by the support of all of our advertisers.