18.7 C
Byron Shire
September 21, 2021

Teen arrested over ‘copycat’ fire

Latest News

Long COVID and the science, so far…

Increasing COVID-19 vaccination rates as quickly as possible is currently a major focus for Australia.

Other News

State gov’t services failing to keep up with regional population growth, says independent Ballina councillor

Cr Cadwallader told The Echo on Thursday she’d be asking council staff to pursue the matter of policing resources in the shire after last month winning majority council support to pressure the government on the future of Lennox Head Public School.

Cartoon of the week – 15 September, 2021

We love to receive letters, but not every letter will be published; the publication of letters is at the discretion of the online and print letters editors.

The old slouch hat

‘This is my favourite,’ we say espite the painfully obvious fact that we all, from time to time enjoy a wide variety...

Hue and cry

Seeing and hearing all the kicking and screaming about our right to choose to not put on masks takes...

A moment of your life?

Six questions for Jehovah’s Witness doorknockers: 1. Are you aware that the 2016 Royal Commission into Institutional Handling of Child...

Strange strategy

The strategy applied by Byron Shire Council (BSC) since 2002 is bemusing at best. Firstly a position was created by...

Saturday’s (August 18) fire at Tabulam burnt out more than 175 ha before being brought under control. Photo RFS

An RFS fire truck has been damaged and an estimated 175 hectares of land has been burnt out in a deliberately-lit fire near Tabulam on Saturday (August 18).

A 14-year-old boy has been arrested in what appears to be a copycat arson attack, after a 52-year-old man was charged with lighting a different fire in the same area on Wednesday (August 15).

Emergency services were called to a property on Plains Station Road at Tabulam, 65km west of Casino, about 12.30pm following reports of an out-of-control fire.

The RFS responded with five ground crews and five aircraft while residents of the Tabulam township were put on standby for evacuation.

The Bruxner Highway was closed when the Tabulam Bridge caught alight, and the Tabulam RFS tanker was damaged before the fire was brought under control about 6pm.

An estimated 175ha of land has been burnt out with fences, power poles and sheds destroyed.

Investigators from the Richmond Police District initiated inquiries and arrested the 14-year-old boy.

He was initially conveyed to Tabulam Police Station but due to the fire, the station had no power or internet facilities so he was taken to Casino Police Station and charged with intentionally causing a fire and being reckless as to its spread, as well as leaving fire alight in the open air without extinguishing it.

The boy was granted conditional bail to attend a children’s court on Wednesday September 5.

 


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

ScoMo does it again

ScoMo recently travelled from the ACT to Sydney, not something to be recommended at the moment. What is an essential worker? Surely someone paying 50...

Teacher survey

The Echo’s survey of local teachers regarding vaccination was as illuminating as it was disappointing. One respondent popped their head out the rabbit hole...

10pm Monday – update of COVID venues of concern

The Northern NSW Local Health District has been notified of a number of venues of concern associated with confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the region.

A new COVID-19 case flies into the Far North Coast

The Northern NSW Local Health District has confirmed that there is a new case of COVID-19 in Northern NSW today, and they will be included in NSW Health’s official reporting tomorrow.