29.2 C
Byron Shire
January 26, 2021

Planet Watch: Regenerative agriculture as one answer to planetary crisis

Latest News

What to do with no booze at your party

Eve Jeffery It’s almost human nature, certainly Australian nature, to celebrate with a drink. Nothing says wetting the baby’s head...

Other News

Science of potholes

Stephen Bellerby, Mullumbimby I would like to congratulate Richard Hil for his letter (January 6, 2021) bringing to our attention...

From Young to Ballina: the Eoin and Barry story

Ballina councillor Eoin Johnston and local legend Barry Saxby have a long history together, as Echonetdaily discovered when Barry's race-walking champion daughter Kerry Saxby-Junna was honoured in Ballina last week.

Eminent Australian

Michael Kelly, Wardell It’s great to see such an eminent Australian scientist like Tim Flannery recently return to, and take...

Trusted window

Dave Rastovich, Broken Head As someone who happily does not participate in the woeful communicative medium of social media and...

Baby forcibly removed from parents in Byron Shire

Significant community concern has been raised over the forcible removal of an infant under one from its parents in Byron Shire in the last few weeks.

Mullum gravity mains

Alan Dickens, Brunswick Heads The Water & Waste Sewer Advisory Committee (WWSAC) submitted to the elected council that a five-year...

This article is made possible by the support of Byron Eco Park.

Prairie Erosion. Erosion caused by agriculture is a major cause of land degradation. Excessive erosion (erosion above the rate of soil formation) is particularly concerning because while an inch of soil can take hundreds of years to form, under certain circumstances it can be swept away in just a few seasons. PhotoRick Bohn / USFWS https://www.flickr.com/photos/usfwsmtnprairie.

Dr Willow Hallgren

Over the last few decades, modern industrialised agriculture has wrought havoc on natural systems. It has razed forests, decimated biodiversity, and has done immense damage to soils. Most individual farmers may just want to turn a profit to feed their families and pay off their mortgages, but collectively, if you look at what’s happening around the world, this form of agriculture is a major contributor to the ongoing degradation of our planet.

A primary impact of agriculture is soil degradation. Land-clearing, overgrazing, the impact of heavy farming equipment, chemical fertilisers and pesticides, and irrigation, all contribute to soil degradation. This has resulted in the degradation of one-third of the world’s soils:

• 30 per cent of the world’s cropland has been abandoned over the past 40 years due to degradation and desertification,
  • 52 per cent of the land used for agriculture is moderately to severely affected by soil degradation.
  • 12 million hectares of cropland are lost per year (23 hectares per minute)

Tilled farmland such as this is very susceptible to erosion from rainfall, due to the destruction of vegetative cover and the loosening of the soil during plowing. Photo Trevor Rickard.

All of this must be considered alongside a rapidly rising human population (9 billion by 2037) and its increasing food requirement. Considering this perfect storm of global crises, a Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) report concluded that ‘unless new approaches are adopted, the global amount of arable and productive land per person in 2050 will be only a quarter of the level in 1960’. Clearly, soil degradation and loss, as with population growth is among the gravest environmental problems the world faces.

Moreover, relentlessly rising CO2 emissions and resulting climate change will exacerbate erosion and soil loss. Degraded land is more vulnerable to increasingly severe droughts and extreme floods. Currently, 44 per cent of the world’s food production systems and 50 per cent of its livestock are considered to be vulnerable to climate change. Sorry, Millennials, for this Pandora’s Box of environmental crises you’ll most likely be left to deal with in your retirement.

Australian agriculture at risk

Unfortunately, here in Australia, we are particularly at risk from these concurrent crises. The NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) warns that there are ‘many crops currently grown‘ that will ‘cease to be viable in the same location‘ creating a high risk of disruption to regional economies. Many of the strongest farm sectors in NSW have already been affected by lower rainfall, higher temperatures, and increased evaporation caused by climate change. The DPI has warned that ‘climate change poses “extreme” risks to several agricultural sectors’ particularly those that rely on irrigation. Overall, production levels are forecast to decline over much of southern Australia as a result of climate change by 2050, with significantly reduced production of sheep meat, wheat, dairy, and beef.

Newly-planted soybean plants are emerging from the residue left behind from a prior wheat harvest. This demonstrates the permaculture practices of crop rotation and no-till planting. Photo Lynda Richardson, USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service.

Agricultural solutions

So how can agriculture adapt to the multiple interconnected crises it faces, including climate change? On a practical level, farm businesses have a choice of several strategies to adapt to climate change. These can involve the relocation of their farm business in response to drought or reduced rainfall. Changing to an alternative crop or enterprise may be a possibility, to offset the declining viability of previous agricultural practices, eg growing more ‘drought’ tolerant vegetation or perennials to reduce erosion and provide forage. Carbon farming also offers a potential alternative biodiversity-friendly agribusiness. Precision farming may provide a technological solution, and the Australian government has previously provided assistance to farmers wanting to leave the agricultural sector.

Beyond these more conventional solutions, a paradigm shift could well be necessary, away from the fossil fuel-intensive, soil degrading, biodiversity-decimating, water-wasteful industrial methods of farming to a system that conserves water, reduces the need for (petro)-chemical fertiliser and fossil fuel energy inputs and enhances biodiversity. Moreover, if we can adapt agricultural practices to reduce existing emissions, as well as to increase soil carbon, agriculture can become one of the solutions to climate change, rather than the major source of CO2 emissions that it currently is.

Myriad solutions are all around us. There are many ‘alternative’ (but increasingly widely used) agricultural practices and farming systems that emphasise much longer-term sustainability. They embrace practices that simulate processes of natural ecology, and promote natural ‘ecosystem services’ to enhance the agricultural system.

Examples of specific practices include the minimisation of ploughing (tillage) to prevent soil erosion and enhance soil moisture capture. Crop rotation and soil amendment (with compost recovered and recycled from preferably local sources) used to provide the necessary nutrients to crops without (or with far less) pesticide or artificial, often fossil-fuel-based, fertilisers. Organisms that keep pests under control are encouraged and the use of increasingly precious water resources is minimised to prevent salinisation and regulated to avoid water use at higher-than-natural-replenishment rates. Integrating cropping and grazing can assist in maintaining healthy soils. Increasing seed and crop diversity will also help farmers spread their risk (crop failure), or breed new varieties to adapt to changing climatic patterns and the accompanying new pests and pathogens.

Food security for millennia to come

If climate change is not mitigated, agriculture will become harder and harder over the next few decades and centuries – of that we can be sure. Therefore we must protect and restore the health of the planet in order to ensure basic food security. So, perhaps we need to go one step further than aiming for ‘sustainable’ agriculture, which, over the long term depends on the level of degradation to ecosystem health that is being sustained.

Regenerative agriculture is a more far-reaching, longer-term strategy that can feed and nurture humans (and their livestock) into the next millennium. This strategy has the core intention to actively improve the health of soil, including restoring highly degraded soil. This enhances the soil ecology, and hence productivity, and enhances the quality of water, and vegetation. This approach would maximise carbon sequestration from the atmosphere as soil organic carbon and has the potential to strongly mitigate climate change. However, moving to a regenerative form of agriculture would require a fundamental redesign of the agro-ecological system. A redesign that restores the resource base by promoting natural ecological services; an agriculture that works with nature, not against it, and one that doesn’t dispose of it for short-term profit. The question is – do we care enough about our younger and future generations to make such changes?

Further reading:

Third of Earth’s soil is acutely degraded due to agriculture (Guardian)

The National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility (NCCARF)

Rhodes, C. J. (2012). Feeding and healing the world: through regenerative agriculture and permaculture. Science progress95(4), 345-446.

Soil is our best ally in the fight against climate change – but we’re fast running out of it (The Conversation)

What If the World’s Soil Runs Out? (TIME)

Dr Willow Hallgren. Photo supplied.

Author

Dr Willow Hallgren is an earth-system scientist who studies the impact of climate change on ecosystems and biodiversity, the feedbacks between vegetation and the climate, and how policy can influence climate change, by changing how we use the land.

Willow has previously worked as a climate and biodiversity scientist in government, industry, and academic roles in both Australia and the USA at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). She was also previously the Science editor of Monash University’s student newspaper Lot’s Wife.

She is a city escapee of many years now and is currently hiding out among the hill tribes of the beautiful Tweed Valley.

More Planet Watch articles

Planet Watch: Environmentally sound building

Globally, buildings are responsible for a massive share of energy and material consumption. Sustainable building movements are trying to change this, some by going back to the past, and some by diving head-first into the future.

1

Planet Watch: Are humans the disease?

Humans have told a lot of stories about how awesome we are, but there's one emerging hypothesis that casts our species in a very anti-heroic light. In terms of the planet, are we behaving like a disease?

15

Planet Watch – Top three environmental issues

With so many environmental crises occurring, it’s hard to focus on just three issues to provide an update to Planet Watch readers – but here's our top three...

8

Planet Watch: War and the environment

War is probably as old as humanity. The natural world is much older, of course, but it's been damaged and affected by human conflicts since we first started killing each other.

12

Planet Watch: Living off grid and accepting nature’s limits

Living off grid can teach an individual about living within the limits of their immediate environment – a lesson we need to learn as individuals and as a species. We are well on the way to tipping the Earth beyond its ability to support the myriad lifeforms, including us, that are here.

6

Over the last few decades, modern industrialised agriculture has wrought havoc on natural systems. It has razed forests, decimated biodiversity, and has done immense damage to soils.

5

Planet Watch: the madness and corruption of unconventional gas

The people of the Northern Rivers of NSW breathed a big sigh of relief when they stopped the unconventional gas industry at Bentley. But the industry didn't stop when it hit resistance – it simply went around us, and left the region in a false bubble of security.

3

Planet Watch: Deforestation leads to more disease

Conserving primary forest and its biodiversity will reduce the likelihood of future disease outbreaks including pandemics like COVID-19, Ebola.

5

Planet Watch: Is hydrogen the fuel of the future?

There's been a lot of hot air in the media recently about hydrogen. The problem is that there's hydrogen and then there's hydrogen.

21

Planet Watch: As the NSW North Coast heats up what does...

The North Coast region of NSW has already experienced significant climate change: average temperatures on the east coast of Australia have increased by around 0.7 °C compared to pre-industrial levels, and this warming trend is expected to continue.

6

Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

5 COMMENTS

1. Over the past few decades, Mankind has repeatedly raped the planet, soiled his bed and has added to the enveloping blanket heating the air and the stratosphere. The result is that we have Climate Change and if we do not change, the planet will slowly suffocate from the weight of megatons of pollution we produce.

2. I heard once that pollution is no more or less than an unused resource that causes suffering. Here in the United States, we’re pretty good at offloading the suffering we create onto other people, but it can’t always be that way: I believe that our biology as humans ties us to the earth. We’re happiest when we are living productively and harmoniously with the planet that sustains us. When we get out of sync and are ungrateful, we tend to do things that look destructive (like dumping toxic waste into rivers and burn down forests while chasing an idea of happiness we’ve been led to believe exists). But when we do this, we’re the ones in danger of extinction – not the Earth. This article was quite the eye-opener for me. 23 hectares a minute?? Sheesh…

3. Another excellent article on what humans are doing to the planet. How do we get such articles out to the world’s populace? In May this year the WWF stated that 60% of the world’s mammal, birds, fish etc had been lost in just over 40 years. In that time we added 3 billion humans to the planet all of whom need vast areas of land for houses to live in and grow food to eat. That there is a causal relationship is unquestionable. Regenerative agriculture is a huge step in the right direction but can it catch up with a billion more humans to feed every 13 years?
    It is time we listened to the profound words of Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862) “In wildness is the preservation of the world”.