Panic buying

Panic buying of toilet paper continues.

Andrew Guild, Croydon South

I went to the local supermarket
To buy my weekly supplies,
But things had been quite crazy –
Empty shelves there met my eyes

All the toilet rolls and tissues
Had simply vanished – disappeared –
Just because of some new virus,
Which a lot of people feared

Farewell rolled oats, and white rice,
As well as other types of food –
For panickers had grabbed the lot,
Which, to me, was downright rude

Whilst I understand the panic buying,
And people caught up in that caper,
I really wish, for the love of God,
That they’d leave me some toilet paper!

Support the The Echo

7 responses to “Panic buying”

1. Emily Stewart says:

It seems for the rich we are not in Recession yet
    When many people are buying lots of white paper
    And I’m at the ATM and no money is coming out yet.
    Kids are hungry and my baby has a dirty diaper
    Gotta get to Woolies but the nappies are all gone I bet.

2. Liz L says:

Can’t understand it at all. I can think of much worse things from which to run out than toilet paper – Pinot Gris for one!

3. phil says:

When we had small kids we washed nappies and hung them on the line.Good for the environment as well. You should try it

4. Allan W. says:

Same happening here in Southern Tasmania. Just don’t understand why. If we just purchased what we require as a normal shop, there would be plenty for everyone. Seems like greed is taking over.

5. Barry says:

Casual and part time workers are buying now when they have money. That’s why toilet paper. The virus symptoms do not include the s4!7s.

6. Hats off to Barry! Aged pensioners, casual & part-time
    along with owners of small businesses, university
    students plus the once full-time workers are reading
    a future they’ll have few dollars for. What was a 14
    day ‘at home’ has now turned into a 6 to 8 month
    problem so say the medical profession. A ‘stock up’
    of packaged food, soap etc needs to take place.
    Drive through Lismore. Streets are empty…

7. Liz L says:

Let’s not create even more panic buying which is a self perpetuating spiral. It may be wise to have two weeks’ supplies for the current period of quarantine/isolation for those ill or exposed but not practical for the likely duration of the crisis, which it has been obvious for some time is an unknown quantity. Even in countries where lockdown has occurred I believe people can travel to buy food.

It would be a bit silly to make us stay home to protect our collective health but then introduce provisions to make us all stay indoors and starve to death!