As of yesterday there were 11 active cases of COVID-19 in Queensland with five of them being treated in hospital.
This follows the three new cases that were announced on 29 July bringing the total case number to 1,082 in Queensland.
According to Queensland Health ‘One case recently returned from overseas and is in hotel quarantine. The other two cases recently returned from NSW and were not in a declared hotspot at the time. Both were in self-imposed quarantine since their return from NSW and now remain in isolation.
Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young said that the fact that two of Thursday’s cases and two of Wednesday’s cases had been in Sydney and Melbourne highlighted the importance of Queensland Health declaring hotspots in those locations.
Wednesday’s confirmed COVID-19 cases had not self-isolated as required when they returned to Queensland. They continued to move around in the community and visited a number of locations for more than a week before testing confirmed they had COVID-19.
‘Anyone in Logan, South Brisbane or Springfield who has any symptoms at all should come forward, get tested and isolate themselves,’ said Dr Young.
‘Contact tracing for cases confirmed on 29 July, is well underway. Most close contacts have been identified, contacted directly and provided with advice. Contact tracing is on-going.
‘We have responded rapidly. We carried out over 1,000 tests in Metro South yesterday. This testing capacity has been expanded and will continue.
‘Because one of those confirmed case has not provided details of where they had been or who they had had close contact with, I’m asking all Queenslanders who may have had close contact with a known case, or who have any symptoms at all, to self-isolate and to get tested.
‘I know some of the pop-up clinics have been really busy, and some people have had to wait to be tested, and I thank you for your patience. What you are doing is very important. You do not have to get tested at your closest pop-up clinic – if you have symptoms, you can get tested at any of them. You can also call your GP and arrange a test through them.’
Greater Sydney a hotspot
Responding to the cases that have come into Queensland from Victoria and Sydney Queensland Police have stated that ‘Queensland border restrictions will be expanded following the declaration of Greater Sydney becoming a COVID-19 hotspot from this weekend. From 1am, Saturday, August 1, 34 local government areas of Greater Sydney will be declared COVID-19 hotspots.
‘Queensland’s border restrictions mean people who have been in a COVID-19 hotspot within the last 14 days will be turned away at the state’s border,’ the statement continues.
‘Queensland residents who have been in a COVID-19 hotspot can return home but will be required to quarantine in government provided accommodation at their own expense.’
Three women have now been charged for allegedly providing false information on their Queensland border declarations. Police will allege that all three women travelled to Victoria and deliberately provided misleading documents at the Queensland border.
‘A 19-year-old Heritage Park woman, a 21-year-old Acacia Ridge woman and a 21-year-old Algester woman have all been charged with one count each of providing false or misleading documents – Section 364 of the Public Health Act (maximum penalty – 100 penalty units or $13,345) and fraud (dishonestly gain benefit / advantage) – Section 408C(1)(d) of the criminal code (maximum penalty five years’ imprisonment),’ say the Queensland Police in a press release.
‘Police can also confirm that all three women are now cooperating with QPS and Queensland Health officials. A criminal investigation is also being undertaken by Task Force Sierra Linnet investigators which is unrelated and not connected to the alleged travel to Victoria.
‘All three women are currently in quarantine and are due to appear in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on September 28.’
The Queensland Entry Declaration can be accessed at Queensland border pass.