16.1 C
Byron Shire
August 3, 2021

Both sides of the Dine & Discover vouchers coin

Latest News

Railway and rail trail working together

Chris Abraham, Mullumbimby Creek The rail service between Casino and Murwillumbah was suspended by the NSW Government without any public...

Other News

Saddle Road land snapped up for $10m

A picturesque property in Brunswick Heads that was once slated to become an eco-village may become a light industrial precinct after the owners sold it to a developer for $10 million. 

Pennings and Adani to continue court battle

The Supreme Court has formalised orders agreed out of court by both Adani and Ben Pennings in relation to a decision handed down on 25 June 2021.

Read all about it…

Rick Molloy, Federal If recent letters in The Echo have left you confused about the Israel/Palestine conflict, then help is...

Break and Enter at Cinemas in Byron Bay

Police say that shortly after 4.20am, yesterday, Sunday August 1 a youth forced open one of the steel gates of the Palace Cinemas Byron Bay.

Byron beach erosion

Ann Tiernan, Suffolk Park I strongly disagree with Council’s position stated in last week’s Echo that ‘The sand (at Clarkes Beach)...

Fake news

Ron Priestley, Main Arm What Neil Bowhay is proposing (Letters, 14 July) is that The Echo prints fake news. It is people...

More than four million people have taken advantage of the vouchers since their launch in March.

While millions of New South Wales residents have been enjoying their free $25 pizza, movie and other food and entertainment experience, some of the businesses on the other end of the vouchers have not.

A local business that preferred not to be named, says that they have been having a lot of trouble with the dine and discover system. ’Not only is it difficult and time-consuming for our staff and it drops in and out, but we’ve also found that sometimes the vouchers don’t work properly and even though it looks to have completed at our end, the state government doesn’t actually reimburse us.’

Business owner asked to be removed from scheme

The business owner said they asked to be removed from the scheme and to be taken off the website. ‘Unfortunately, once again the state government has let us down and not done this. I spoke to Service NSW yesterday and they apologised, telling me they don’t know why it hasn’t happened but they are working on it. So our policy is currently that we are accepting the vouchers until we are removed from the website.’

A spokesperson for Service NSW said that more than four million people have taken advantage of the vouchers since their launch in March, giving around 14,000 businesses a $340-million boost. ‘The stimulus has proved popular and played a valuable role supporting businesses as well as reviving consumer confidence.

‘With about two in every three adults across NSW having now registered for the vouchers, having such a large portion of the NSW population on board means we can get money back into the community quickly.

More than $105 million spent regionally

‘More than $105 million has been spent directly in registered business regionally compared to almost $200 million in establishments in Sydney. Businesses across the State have given the registration and application process a 97% thumbs up.

The local business owner said they like to support their customers in any way they can which is why they went along with the program initially. ‘Unfortunately, it has created not only a loss of time and larger administrative workload at our end but also a loss of money as vouchers have not been honoured by the government.’

Service NSW says that if businesses or NSW residents need assistance with the Dine & Discover program, they can call 13 77 88 or visit a local service centre.


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

3 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Fifteen arrested in Brisbane protest

Police say they have arrested fifteen people following protest activity in Brisbane CBD this morning.

South East Queensland lockdown continues for another five days

Queensland Health has issued a statement that says the current lockdown in South East Queensland will continue for another five days as a precaution following new cases in the state.

Pennings and Adani to continue court battle

The Supreme Court has formalised orders agreed out of court by both Adani and Ben Pennings in relation to a decision handed down on 25 June 2021.

Can you help save 74 million lives?

Killer carbon – a new study has coined another metric for estimating the damage inflicted by climate change – this time, looking at the ‘mortality cost of carbon’.