Fifteen people have been arrested for being naked outside the signposted clothing-optional area at Tyagarah in under a fortnight, with just one couple allegedly exhibiting the ‘lewd behaviour’ that attracted police attention to the area in the first place.
Police have been making daily patrols ‘to enforce the clothes-optional beach area at Tyagarah Beach,’ according to Tweed-Byron chief inspector Luke Arthurs.
The move is part of their ‘zero tolerance’ policy of nudists outside the 800-metre stretch of council-approved clothing-optional beach at Tyagarah.
Police also allegedly caught two people having sex on the beach.
The fine is for each offence is $500.
Tea tree lakes targeted
At least five people are known to Echonetdaily to have been arrested at the tea tree lakes area in the last week, allegedly for being nude.
One local couple, who prefer to remain anonymous, said they were wearing underwear in the water but were fined anyway.
They said the police told the man he was ‘wearing his underwear backwards’.
Another local man said he was ‘just getting changed in the bushes’ when sprung by the police.
A local woman, who admits to swimming naked in the lake, told Echonetdaily she planned to fight the charge and that owing to having been off work due to illness she was unable to pay the fine.
Another person said that owing to the way the sign had been defaced, it now appeared nude bathing was allowed at the lake.
Despite the infringements the group Byron Naturists, which was formed to fight for the retention of the beach, say they have seen a great improvement in public behavior on the beach, with ‘couples and families returning in considerable numbers,’ according to a spokesperson.
Police said in a media statement that the following criminal infringement notices (CIN) have been issued in the area over the past two weeks.
- At 4.15pm 26/1/18 a 40-year-old Palm Beach Qld man was issued with a CIN for being nude outside the signposted area.
- At 4.00pm 26/1/18 a 55-year-old male from Camperdown was issued a CIN for being nude outside the signposted area.
- At 12.15pm 21/1/18 a 59-year-old female from Redland Bay and a 41-year-old male were issued CINs for being naked and performing sexual acts.
- At 12.05pm 21/1/18 a 51-year-old female from Byron Bay was issued with a CIN for being nude outside the signposted area.
- At 12.40pm 20/1/18 a 27-year-old male from Toormina was issued with a CIN for being nude outside the signposted area.
- At 12.50pm 20/1/18 a 27-year-old female and 37-year-old male both from Auchenflower were issued with CINs for being naked outside the signposted area.
- At 9.35am 20/1/18 a 45-year-old male from Maryborough and 35-year-old female from Uki were issued with CINs for being naked outside the signposted area.
- At 12.52pm 20/1/18 a 55-year-old female and 40-year-old male both from Cleveland were issued with CINs for being naked outside the signposted area.
- At 1.13pm 20/1/18 a 55-year-old female from Byron Bay was issued with a CIN for being nude outside the signposted area.
- At 7.50pm 20/1/18 a 62-year-old male and 54-year-old female were issued with CINs for being naked outside the signposted area.