The prediction provided by the Bureau of Meteorology expects that locals around the Wilsons River at Lismore will see the river peak this afternoon at 4.20m. However, ‘Flooding is no longer expected in the Tweed, Rouse, Brunswick River catchments and Marshalls Creek, and the Richmond, Orara, Bellinger and Kalang River catchments,’ say NSW State Emergency Services (SES).
The SES have said that based on the Wilsons Rover prediction they expect to see a number of Lismore locations affected by floodwater. These include:
‘• Low lying farmland and rural properties
- Hensley Car Park next to Sportspower near Fawcett’s Bridge
- Lower Rowing Club Car Park
- People upstream of the Rowing Club River Gauge should allow for a level at least 1⁄2 metre higher than the gauge reading due to the flood slope.
- Residents and businesses in the Lismore Basin may experience localised flash flooding prior to river rises.
- A number of low lying rural roads will be flooded.’
If you expect to be impacted by the floodwater then the SES have recommended that you take action now.
They recommend raising movable items such as furniture and electrical items above the expected floodwater height; Turn off the power and secure outside belongings; never drive or walk through flood water; Monitor weather updates and emergency warnings; and move and monitor machinery, livestock etc above predicted floodwater levels.
Latest River Heights for the Wilsons River:
Location Height (m) Trend Date
Leycester Creek at Rock Valley: 3.80 Steady 09:38am
Teraenia Creek at The Channon: 1.83 Steady 09:45am
Coopers Creek at Ewing Bridge Corndale: 2.63 Steady 09:41am
Wilsons River at Eltham: 3.05 Rising 09:39am
Wilsons River at Woodlawn (AHD): 1.93 Rising 09:39am
Leycester Creek at Tuncester (AHD): 2.63 Steady 09:47am
Wilsons River at Lismore (AHD): 1.81 Steady 09:37am
For more information:
- Radio: Listen to ABC North Coast radio 94.5FM and your local radio stations
- Lismore Council Disaster Dashboard.
- Social Media: Follow NSW SES Northern Rivers and NSW SES Lismore City Unit on Facebook or monitor NSW SES website.
- Latest Weather, Warnings, Rainfall and River heights.
- Road Closures: Go to www.livetraffic.com.au or www.myroadinfo.com.au
- Rural animal and livestock assistance: Contact Local Land Services