There was a significant police presence at the Mullumbimby Telstra tower facility as its restoration commenced. Other police stopped and swabbed drivers entering and exiting the town.
‘Reinstalling the tower is a priority to ensure the safety of the local community and the NSW Police Force will provide a highly visible presence to minimise any potential disruption to these works,’ a police spokesperson told The Echo.
It is understood that there were allegations that police at the site asked some members of the public to move on and stop taking photos or filming however, the police spokesperson said there were ‘no reports of officers requesting people not to film’.
‘During an operation at the site yesterday (Tuesday 7 June 2022), no arrests were made and one move-on direction was issued, with approximately a dozen protesters were present at the site. Police were pleased with the behaviour of protesters at the site.’
The alleged arson attack that took place on the Mullumbimby Telstra tower overnight on March 18, 2022, just following two major flooding events in the region, has left many people without mobile coverage in the area.
While the temporary tower has restored some of the coverage, the alleged arson attack that disabled the tower has left many people struggling to access communications, access work and run businesses let alone just complete the basic daily living activities and work online that requires two-factor authentification.
‘Investigations are continuing into a suspicious fire at a telecommunications tower at Mullumbimby earlier this year,’ said the police spokesperson.
‘Police and emergency services were called to River Terrace about 3am on Friday 18 March 2022, following reports the top section of the tower was well alight.
‘Fire and Rescue NSW attended and extinguished the blaze before a crime scene was established and examined by specialist forensic officers.
‘Detectives from Tweed/Byron Police District are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the fire and are appealing for information from the community, which may assist with their inquiries.
‘Anyone who may have any information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.’
I wonder if the (alleged) perpetrators of this blatant extremist vandalism ever wonder over the substantial financial losses they have caused to local businesses and tradespeople ?
Someone – please post a substantial $ cash reward for any information.
And here I was thinking that with all the police presence in mullumbimby yesterday that something interesting had happened…. Nope.. Just guns for hire by private corporations
And STILL just “alleged”, yet talked about as if it’s an absolute.
Couldn’t possibly be a dodgy part or a technician stuff up because Telstra is soooo diligent and professional and technology never fails… must have been a hippy.
Stupid is as stupid does.
They climbed all the way up there and built a bonfire, and without being spotted!!!
I’d be investigating an organisation that calls themselves “Red Bull”.
Hey, do ya think if I send them all the published papers on the subject including the international threat assessments, that maybe they would go and arrest Telstra for causing both a health and national security risk. Or do the cops require payment first.
Just put the 4G gear back up there and no one will care.
Word was petrol was poured into an opening at the base of the tower and ignited. The flames and heat were contained within the tower and torched everything all the way to the top as the tower acted like a chimney. Word was that CCTV captured the culprit carrying a jerry can of fuel and approaching and leaving the site. No point in repairing the tower without installing a steel cage around the base of the tower to prevent close access as it could happen again.
Well that’s just plain lazy on both sides.
Time to bring my marsh mellows for the next fire.