Police have today arrested and charged a woman with attempted murder and assault occasioning grievous bodily harm following an aggravated break and enter at South Murwillumbah in April last year.
About 3.45am on Monday 7 April 2014, emergency services were called to a home on Quarry Road, where they found 46-year-old resident, Michael Martin, and another man, aged 49, suffering serious injuries.
Both men had been seriously assaulted, with Mr Martin suffering multiple stab wounds. Both men spent a considerable period of time in hospital.
The matter has been under investigation by the Homicide Squad and Tweed/Byron Local Area Command under Strike Force Areae.
The strike force was established to investigate the murder of Mr Martin during a second break and enter at the premises on Friday 13 June 2014.
During that incident, Mr Martin suffered serious head and facial injuries and died at the scene, while his 25-year-old son, who was also present, suffered a head injury.
About 9am today (Tuesday 24 February 2015), strike force detectives attended a facility at Silverwater where they arrested a 21-year-old woman from northern NSW.
She was charged with attempted murder and assault occasioning grievous bodily harm in relation to the incident on 7 April 2014, and refused bail to appear at Parramatta Local Court today.
Police will allege in court the woman, along with two other people, broke into the home and assaulted and stabbed Mr Martin, and had accepted payment to kill him.
Investigators have ruled out the woman having being present at the second incident at the home in July.
Detective Inspector Grant Taylor from the Homicide Squad said the investigation was ongoing and police still needed public assistance.
‘The investigation into the incident on 7 April is progressing and we are keen to identify all those involved and establish any links they had with Mr Martin,’ Detective Inspector Taylor said.
‘In particular we’d like to hear from anyone who noticed any suspicious behaviour in Quarry Road in the weeks leading up to it.
‘We are also trying to identify if there is a link between that original incident on 7 April, and the second home invasion on 13 July which resulted in the death of Mr Martin.’
Police are urging anyone with information about this incident to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au/