Debra has spent the last four years writing, sourcing, reinventing and perfecting these delicious recipes in order for all coeliacs to enjoy great-tasting gluten-free food that Debra and her guests have been eating for the last 13 years, since being diagnosed with coeliac disease herself.
My Gluten Free Gourmet Kitchen Cookbook by Debra Maloney is filled with new ideas for every occasion from everyday meals to entrees, mains and desserts. In 260 pages there are 177 recipes, all nicely photographed complete with food presentation and styling tips.
The book can be ordered online at www.debramaloney.com.au, or bought from selected bookstores.
Recipe: Gluten-free spinach and feta pie with a crunchy potato topping
These pies are freezer friendly and can be made in advance; then you will always have something at home for that quick and healthy meal. There’s no need to bake the pies before freezing; just cover them and freeze. When required, take the pie out of the freezer, remove the cling wrap, place in a preheated oven at 180°C and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. You’ll need six small round pie pans (12 centimetres or about 5 inches in diameter) for this recipe.
Shortcrust pastry as per recipe below
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large white onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
250 grams frozen spinach, thawed and liquid removed by squeezing
2 eggs, slightly beaten
200 grams feta cheese, crumbled
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
1 tablespoon matured cheddar cheese, grated
Freshly ground salt and black pepper, to taste
1 extra egg, slightly beaten, for egg wash
2 large potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Take one serving shortcrust pastry out of the refrigerator, remove the cling wrap and roll out between greaseproof baking paper; press into greased pie pans, prick with a fork and set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over low heat, add onion and garlic, and fry until just cooked.
4. Remove from heat and mix in spinach, eggs, feta cheese, parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, salt and black pepper.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pie pans.
6. Top with mashed potato.
7. Brush the tops with a little egg wash.
8. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serve hot with a fresh salad of your choice, or on its own.
1½ cups gluten-free cornflour
½ cup soy flour
½ teaspoon freshly ground salt
½ cup margarine
¼ cup water
1. In a large mixing bowl, sift gluten-free cornflour, soy flour and salt; rub in margarine with fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
2. In a separate small mixing bowl, combine egg and water, then add to sifted flour.
3. Beat well with an electric mixer until combined.
4. Wrap in cling wrap, and refrigerate for 2 hours before using.
5. Roll the prepared pastry out between 2 layers of greaseproof baking paper before cutting to required size.